Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora 30 Will Have Firefox Wayland By Default But Could Be Reverted If Too Buggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 30 Will Have Firefox Wayland By Default But Could Be Reverted If Too Buggy

Phoronix: Fedora 30 Will Have Firefox Wayland By Default But Could Be Reverted If Too Buggy

The plan to use the Wayland-native version of Firefox by default for Fedora Workstation 30 atop GNOME has been tentatively approved by the Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    but that can be overrode via the aforementioned environment variable.
    Should be overridden.

Comment

Been using it by default for some time now. Occasional problems with alt-combos randomly stopping to work and crashes when changing TTYs, but apart from that it's a great experience and feels smoother. Especially the startup when using accelerated layers. Under XWayland, there's glitches, with Wayland it's all smooth.

Comment

Another Firefox Wayland advantage: Firefox can't read your key presses sent to other non-Firefox windows/programs. Note: that is providing you have permissions set appropriately and your system isn't already compromised.

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
          Firefox on GNOME will have Firefox Wayland by Default - Fedora ist *not* only GNOME and here 12 years GNOME free at all
          Fedora is literally the target distribution for GNOME.

Given Fedora ships with GNOME as default, it's fair to say Firefox on Fedora 30 will use Wayland. Just because you can install whatever run of the mill other DE on it doesn't make it any less a GNOME distro.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
            Especially the startup when using accelerated layers.
            When I used it with 'layers.acceleration.force-enabled' to true, it didn't start at all for me on Sandy Bridge graphics. Does work in xorg. But using chromium-vaapi now because of the video capabilities.

hreindl behave yourself

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
              Firefox on GNOME will have Firefox Wayland by Default - Fedora ist *not* only GNOME and here 12 years GNOME free at all
              Then it is pretty much incumbent on other DE's to have a Wayland back end. I know that KDE's still need a lot of work (and Fedora is a bit behind when it comes to KDE, but not by much) and I am not sure of sway's status in the distro, I think that in the distro... but at this point sticking with x11 is setting yourself in the desert. You can only survive for so long.

Comment

I've also been using it as my daily driver for a few weeks now with no noticeable problems.

I had previously disabled Wayland itself due to flashing black bars across the screen on my AMD Vega M (NUC8i7HVK), but 4.20 seems to have fixed that, so I'm now on Wayland for the first time, and switched from Chrome back to Firefox to have a Wayland browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post

When I used it with 'layers.acceleration.force-enabled' to true, it didn't start at all for me on Sandy Bridge graphics. Does work in xorg. But using chromium-vaapi now because of the video capabilities.

hreindl behave yourself
                  Hm this is very odd. What do you mean by "in xorg"? In a X session or on XWayland? Or phrased differently, does 'layers.acceleration.force-enabled' only not work with the Firefox Wayland backend or generally in a Wayland session?

Comment

Great that Firefox on Wayland is getting stable now! On KDE Plasma, Firefox is freezing quite fast and there are still several other users that need to be fixed, but I'm happy to see Firefox doing this step with the help of Fedora!

Comment

Working...
                    X