Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland's Weston 6.0 To Support XDG-Shell Stable, Helping Apps Like MPV Video Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    pgoetz Weston developers also work on mutter. So do the xfce founder. So they also work on established compositors. Weston is not meant for end users.
    Thanks for that explanation. Maybe mutter will get better; under the circumstances it's our only hope.

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post
      I'm pretty happy with budgie desktop on archlinux, don't use too much memory, full wayland support.
      Next bare metal install I do I'll try out budgie. I have looked at it, but can't remember why I rejected it before. One thing I really like about Mate is the file manager; literally the best I've used on any OS. As long as I can get virtual workspaces, a fairly decent file manager, and a launcher that doesn't get in my way, I'm good.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post

Next bare metal install I do I'll try out budgie. I have looked at it, but can't remember why I rejected it before. One thing I really like about Mate is the file manager; literally the best I've used on any OS. As long as I can get virtual workspaces, a fairly decent file manager, and a launcher that doesn't get in my way, I'm good.
        Have you considered mixing and matching components? I run PCManFM (from LXDE) on my KDE desktop because I prefer it over Dolphin.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not sure what you mean by this. My MB has a bunch of SATA ports. I have them both plugged into SATA ports (I believe SATA 0 and 1). How would I stack them vertically? AFAIK SATA doesn't support daisy chaining.
          I was making a joke. Sorry. I have no practical advice for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Um. Its had minimize support for 10 years, the protocol was just marked as unstable as it was still up for change, but everyone used it anyway.
            10 years ago the xdg shell protocol didn't even exist, much less minimize support.

Comment

I know that Weston was only ever meant to be a reference compositor, but has anyone made a run at using it as the basis for an actual desktop environment? I'm a reasonably* happy Mate on Arch linux user, but a lot of people find Mate to be somewhat archaic. The problem is everything else (I'm looking at you, gnome) is bloated, poorly functioning crapware built on top of other bloated crapware. I'm very tired of the argument "memory is cheap, who cares if an application uses a lot of memory?" No; hell no. I want my DE to be fast and snappy. I hate having to wait even 1 second for the focus to change or some such; this definitely impacts productivity. I'm old enough to remember Windows 2 running on an 80286; surely it's not too much to expect modern systems with 4Ghz multicore processors and 32G of RAM to perform at that speed?

* Don't try having 2 optical drives in the same machine, for example; it seems to be endlessly confused by this.
              Who says MATE is archaic? I mean: I think it is, but every time there's even the slightest mention of MATE, people start foaming like crazy... I have yet to find anyone besides me who dislikes MATE.
              Last edited by Vistaus; 16 February 2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

You can use MATE's file manager on Budgie just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Reading that hurt my soul :P
                  Obviously caligula was talking about Windows because real operating systems don't have start menus.

And with all those ads that the start menu shoves up in your face these days there's no reason to think it would be light on memory usage.

Comment

I'm very tired of the argument "memory is cheap, who cares if an application uses a lot of memory?" No; hell no. I want my DE to be fast and snappy. I hate having to wait even 1 second for the focus to change or some such; this definitely impacts productivity. I'm old enough to remember Windows 2 running on an 80286; surely it's not too much to expect modern systems with 4Ghz multicore processors and 32G of RAM to perform at that speed?
                    That has nothing to do with memory usage. You are talking about time efficiency, AKA performance, whereas memory usage would be space efficiency. Gnome uses like 700MB of memory, which is nothing these days. Open up Firefox, load a couple of tabs, and it will surpass Gnome easily. Btw, memory is there to be used, it's not a bad thing unless you are running out of it. The only time it would affect performance is if you had so little memory that you were forced to swap to disk often.

Gnome performance can definitely be improved, but that is an architectural design issue. And frankly, old DEs have better performance because they're ugly and hardly do anything, not because they are designed well. KDE is an example of a modern DE that has excellent performance and looks good.
                    Last edited by cynical; 16 February 2019, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                      That has nothing to do with memory usage. You are talking about time efficiency, AKA performance, whereas memory usage would be space efficiency. Gnome uses like 700MB of memory, which is nothing these days. Open up Firefox, load a couple of tabs, and it will surpass Gnome easily.
                      Maybe I don't use Firefox, and even if I do, I close that hog when I want.

Can I close gnome to recover from its bloat?

700MB is absolutely insane for a DE.

Yes, memory is there to be used...

...by the applications I want to run, not permanently hogged by some piece of shit DE.

Comment

Working...
                      X