Sway 1.0 Beta Released - Offers 100% Compatibility With i3 Window Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.0 Beta Released - Offers 100% Compatibility With i3 Window Manager

Phoronix: Sway 1.0 Beta Released - Offers 100% Compatibility With i3 Window Manager

The Sway Wayland compositor inspired by X11's i3 window manager is now up to its beta ahead of the big 1.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congrats! Sounds like a big milestone was achieved. I should probably try this somewhere.

Comment

A Linux desktop with decent high DPI support? I need to check out Sway when it's released.

Comment

This look awesome, going to give it a try when it hits the Arch repos

Comment

"Experimental Nvidia support has been deprecated since its inception, and has now been removed entirely. Please use nouveau and consider future purchases from GPU vendors that support open source. Other proprietary drivers are also unsupported."

Comment

Very nice. Should probably give this a try soon, and I hope it reaches Debian unstable or experimental repos in the not so far future.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
              "Experimental Nvidia support has been deprecated since its inception, and has now been removed entirely. Please use nouveau and consider future purchases from GPU vendors that support open source. Other proprietary drivers are also unsupported."
              That's a statement I agree with and something I agreed with when that KDE dev ranted about the state of Nvidia drivers.

They make a driver that, while good for games, is not to standard or spec. When that not to spec driver doesn't work when all the other to spec drivers do work...that's on Nvidia...

I used to have simlar issues with my AMD/ATI cards way back when, but AMD opened up their driver and started writing it to spec; now all sorts of people contribute to it, all sorts of people develop projects around it, and a lot of us will tell you how much our Linux experience has improved since way back when because of AMD and their change of policy. Nvidia needs to do something similar (by that, I just mean writing a standards compliant driver over doing their own thing and expecting everyone to code around that...not necessarily an open source driver...).

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
                They're writing open-source code with what I would imagine are limited resources. They've chosen to expend those resources on awesome things like wlroots which is growing the Wayland ecosystem instead of maintaining two codepaths for hardware acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

They're writing open-source code with what I would imagine are limited resources. They've chosen to expend those resources on awesome things like wlroots which is growing the Wayland ecosystem instead of maintaining two codepaths for hardware acceleration.
                  Exactly. Even big, funded projects like KDE say the same thing. Hmmm....Do we write code that works with Intel, AMD, and 40 different ARM GPUs or do we write one set of code for everyone else and another set of code just for Nvidia?

That's not a hard question to answer.

Comment

no layout save/restore functionality unlike in i3 and the author is strongly against the feature. I'll stay with i3 until forced to move to wayland. That's another 1.5 years at least

Comment

Working...
                    X