Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.16 & Weston 5.0 Hit The Beta Milestone

Phoronix: Wayland 1.16 & Weston 5.0 Hit The Beta Milestone

The beta releases of Wayland 1.16 and the Weston 5.0 reference compositor are now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Since I last tried Wayland, seems like there is progress towards a standard to capture the screen, needed for screenshot/screen sharing apps, although my last attempt to use Hangouts and WebRTC was an abysmal failure in F28.

Any progress on Wayland provide the functionality? Or Weston an API to standardize around for these basic Desktop functions:
    • To query the position of the mouse, needed for apps like Screenruler
    • To register global hotkeys
    • To modify resolution, color space, and gamma properties of the whole screen needed for apps like Redshift, gamma in games, and ARandR like apps.
    Last time I tried to used Fedora 28 as my daily driver, this is what I was missing. Will try again in F29.

If it's really "security concerns" that's holding all of these features back that Windows and OS X have provided forever, why not implement a security/permissions framework like IOS or Android?
    Last edited by slacka; 28 July 2018, 12:44 PM.

Comment

... and the question is, will Wayland be ready after 10 years? Apologies for probably insulting question, but it is just taking way too long. I know it is a complicated project, but where is the power of open source? There are so many smart and talented people, but it appears only tiny fraction of a drop is interested in giving their mind to help it move forward faster from an entire ocean of smart people. Last time I tried Wayland it was just a black screen. How can we attract more mind power to make Wayland default sooner?

Comment

Originally posted by Danas_Anis View Post
        ... and the question is, will Wayland be ready after 10 years?
        Technically speaking, Wayland is ready, what isn't ready are the Wayland compositors in GNOME, KDE, and friends.

Apologies for probably insulting question, but it is just taking way too long. I know it is a complicated project, but where is the power of open source? There are so many smart and talented people, but it appears only tiny fraction of a drop is interested in giving their mind to help it move forward faster from an entire ocean of smart people. Last time I tried Wayland it was just a black screen. How can we attract more mind power to make Wayland default sooner?
        The "power of opensource" is just that interested parties can actually contribute. And in most cases this means actually companies paying for development, as most of the user base doesn't do much.

The whole idea of "opensource" being this thing where programmers magically work for free for you is bullshit spread by Canonical. There is some level of that, but it's not going to be on very complex OS components. Critical OS subsystems aren't something hobbyist programmers can realistically tackle. Some very good ones may, but most won't be able to.

The only way we can attract more mind power is by paying for it. So crowdfundings and stuff. Like KDE does, like Krita does and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          The whole idea of "opensource" being this thing where programmers magically work for free for you is bullshit spread by Canonical.
          Source of that claim?

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
            Source of that claim?
            Their marketing material on physical Ubuntu disks from before the Unity stunt and too many talks I've seen to evangelize people.

Not claiming it's their own original idea, mind me.

Comment

how long time has to be spent before wayland will be the unique video manager of the linux operating systems?

Comment

What Wayland needs at this stage would be better support from the application developers. Just some bad examples, Firefox, SDDM, games, Wine, Steam, ... Then there are plenty of applications with issues and glitches on Wayland. From my point of view several bugs are not even addressed if reported by the users. In general Wayland support is in a good state by the compositors like Kwin, what is missing will be fixed with more attention from the application developers.

Comment

Fwiw, there's much to do with Xorg tech too. For instance not all login managers support rootless X. Some desktops suck with multiple monitors. Some video drivers (nouveau) also have problems with two screens and two slightly different refresh rates. Some drivers won't wake from software suspend (nouveau and two GPUs & screens). Some hang randomly (nouveau and amd dc). Some don't support tear free video.

Comment

I'm excited that everyone is moving towards Wayland so we can finally deal with this display server crap and have some consistency in linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X