Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Mutter 3.29.1 Now Works With Elogind, Allows For Wayland On Non-Systemd Distros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Wayland is a display server protocol. It's not software. The Wayland protocol does not require systemd. It's possible that some Wayland compositors (aka Wayland display servers) that implement the Wayland protocol, depend on systemd being present.
    Did you miss the first part of the question?

"Will Plasma do the same?"

It was obvious that I was referring to Plasma on Wayland.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

What? No longer depended on systemd? Now the GNOME+systemd haters (I'm not one of them) have less reason to complain, yay.

Comment

and Gentoo

and Slackware

and Knoppix
        and Debian when not using systemd (on linux, hurd, kfreebsd)

Comment

and Gentoo
          Gentoo supports systemd just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            What? No longer depended on systemd? Now the GNOME+systemd haters (I'm not one of them) have less reason to complain, yay.
            LP actually wrote a module for Gnome to sidestep systemd a long time ago but gnome decided not to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Did you miss the first part of the question?

"Will Plasma do the same?"

It was obvious that I was referring to Plasma on Wayland.
              No, it wasn't obvious. At first I read it the same (wrong) way. That you were claiming that Wayland needed systemd. You wrote them as two separate sentences, you see:

Darkbasic said, "Will Plasma do the same?"
              Darkbasic went on, "AFAIK systemd is needed on Wayland."

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                and FreeBSD
                Let's be clear, FreeBSD is developing their own version of systemd via it's leader who was key on Apple's implementation that inspired systemd. If GNOME had originated on FreeBSD and required that people would be venomous towards FreeBSD for requiring their subsystem to run on Linux.

You want a coherent system you work on building a coherent foundation.

Torvald's seems to understand this necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Gentoo supports systemd just fine.
                  They also have another init called OpenRC, and it has a decent userbase and it is pretty cool while still completely inferior to systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                    Let's be clear, FreeBSD is developing their own version of systemd via it's leader who was key on Apple's implementation that inspired systemd. If GNOME had originated on FreeBSD and required that people would be venomous towards FreeBSD for requiring their subsystem to run on Linux.

You want a coherent system you work on building a coherent foundation.

Torvald's seems to understand this necessity.
                    I agree on the general concept, but some of these things raise some alarms in my head.

Could you point out where they are developing their systemd-like thing? as I did see at least one such project but was more or less stalled.

I'm somewhat sure that Apple didn't inspire Pottering to write systemd, but there can be some similarities alright, can you expand a bit on that? I don't know much the internals of OSX/MacOS.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                      He was talking about the state of Plasma (KDE desktop) and not Wayland. Read the whole message and do not delete context from your quotes, then it's easier to understand.
                      I read his whole message.

His question is clear. I don't know the answer. His follow up statement makes almost no sense in the context of his question and on its own is factually incorrect. I assumed that he was confused (as he wrote a confusing paragraph), so I explained a detail about Wayland to help remove any confusion he might be having.

If he had said this, it would have made sense to me:
                      "Will Plasma do the same? AFAIK systemd is currently needed by Plasma."

This would have made sense too:
                      "Will Plasma do the same? AFAIK systemd is needed by its Wayland compositor implementation."

He actually said this:
                      "Will Plasma do the same? AFAIK systemd is needed on Wayland."

Comment

Working...
                      X