GNOME Shell vs. KDE Plasma Graphics Tests On Wayland vs. X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zzarko View Post
    There is something I really do not understand... When it was introduced, Wayland was supposed to solve many Xorg problems, especially its 30-year bloat. Tests shown here do not show that non-bloated Wayland is any faster than bloated Xorg. Maybe those are wrong tests, or maybe there is something that I'm missing? I'm not trying to troll, I'm really interested in the answer...
    It isn't rendering games at a pointless number of FPS. But as far as I am aware that isn't one of the issues with Xorg that it was trying to fix. Issues like responsiveness, latency, security, and memory usage, none of which appear to be tested for in these benchmarks, are more what was being targeted. And memory isn't going to get better as long as XWayland still has Xorg running in the background (although everything else will).

Comment

Unfortunately for me Plasma 5.12 Wayland on Tumbleweed didn't work well at all. Probably because I have a dual screen setup. On login, there was a panel only on one of the displays (and the wrong one compared to Xorg). I could add another panel on the other screen, but any attempt at adding plasmoids would make plasmashell crash... And I can't really do anything with a blank panel. So back to Xorg for the time being for me.

It kind of feels like Plasma 5.2 again. I'm sure it will improve quite a bit in the future releases, but that will take some time.

Comment

What is this lag some people keep talking about? I've been using Gnome + Wayland on Fedora for several months (I'd say more than a year) without issues. I even do Steam games and stuff... (Sapphire RX 580 open driver).

I'm so happy with Gnome 3 I didn't go the Sway route although I was an early adopter of ion 3 and later XMonad.

The only bug I've noticed is distortion in Blender's UI, but everything works cool and snappy.

Comment

Working...
        X