No announcement yet.

OpenGL vs. Vulkan On The AMD Ryzen 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

probably mesa drivers are not optimized both for opengl and vulkan apis.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
      One thing I noticed on my RX 480 is that DPM doesn't seem to ramp up clock speeds high enough when a game is primarily bottlenecked by the CPU:
      power_dpm_force_performance_level = auto
      power_dpm_force_performance_level = high

Granted, it's only a ~20-30% difference, but it might contribute to the poor radeonsi performance in this particular test.
      Why would it ramp up if the GPU is not pushed to the max?

Comment

Probably a regression in Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Why would it ramp up if the GPU is not pushed to the max?
          Well, look at the screenshots that I liked to.

It's also the default behaviour on Windows to run the card at max speeds pretty much all the time. There's an option in the Windows driver ("power efficiency" or something) that basically makes it behave like DPM on Linux, but like on Linux it has a noticable negative impact on games where the GPU utilization hovers around the 60% mark, especially with Vsync enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

He just picked games than run better with the nv gpu. He is towards intel and nv. Ryzen and Vega changed the situation a bit.
            I highly doubt it since Michael did the benchmarks showing how well the RX580 runs on RadeonSI nowadays himself. It can be found among the posts of the last two weeks or so (big comparison of basically all cards he owns before Vega). All I am saying is that I was surprised to see this difference since the cards should be pretty even in performance and the Ryzen 3 is not that weak a CPU. If you choose to see bias in this that is not what I intended to imply.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

He just picked games than run better with the nv gpu. He is towards intel and nv. Ryzen and Vega changed the situation a bit.
              Lol? Is there some other great Vulkan-supportive games I missed with benchmarks?
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

That's what side before, this is clearly a regression and Mesa. I have tested this configuration on my ryzen 7, and RX 480 and don't have the sort of problem. The frame rate should be much, much higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  probably mesa drivers are not optimized both for opengl and vulkan apis.
                  Nothing surprising. Driver AMD has always been poor in terms of processor performance.
                  Very processor capasity. It's even on Windows.
                  Let Michael try to conduct a similar test on a powerful processor and such difference should not be (so on the old tests and seen)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Nobody's trying to disprove Michael. We're just noting that either there's a regression in there or some peculiarity with the setup. Those cards are usually within 10% of each other.
                    poor choice of wording.

Comment

Originally posted by mphuZ View Post
                      Nothing surprising. Driver AMD has always been poor in terms of processor performance.
                      Very processor capasity. It's even on Windows.
                      Let Michael try to conduct a similar test on a powerful processor and such difference should not be (so on the old tests and seen)
                      mesa drivers are open drivers I don't know if the amd card analyzed can be used by amd drivers on linux. Sincerely amd vgas on linux are a mystery. I don't know how amd drivers perform opengl or vulkan on linux operating systems. I assume they should be better than mesa drivers.
                      What I understand is that nvidia support is better than amd support as far as video cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X