QEMU Is Interested In Vulkan Guest Support "Vulkan-ize Virgl"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You can do that of course, but would it actually make sense? I also think you misrepresent what discrimination actually is. It's only discrimination when considering two equally qualified individuals, or when considering one less qualified individual that gets a position over a more qualified individual.
    I reject your idea of "two equally qualified individuals", nobody is exactly equal, the only reason you would say that is you haven't tested the candidates thoroughly enough. Especially at this high level of skill (vulkan + deep level vm knowledge). You hire the most qualified person, PERIOD.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    That being said, Outreachy is, by definition, discrimination. However, the purpose of it is to help encourage people who are frequently and traditionally discriminated against (AKA, anyone who isn't a white male). So, I personally am in favor of it, because how else are these people going to see any opportunities when they'll be discriminated against for a "more accepting" job?
    Trendy racism is still racism. Want to know how it's still racism? Take all the people on that list and say you will hire a "white male" of "equal" ability over them, see what happens. Hell whenever you see one of these progressive (aka virtue-signalling trash) postings take the group they are talking about and flip it, then imagine stating it publicly.

Comment

Originally posted by ParticleBoard View Post

I reject your idea of "two equally qualified individuals", nobody is exactly equal, the only reason you would say that is you haven't tested the candidates thoroughly enough. Especially at this high level of skill (vulkan + deep level vm knowledge). You hire the most qualified person, PERIOD.

Trendy racism is still racism. Want to know how it's still racism? Take all the people on that list and say you will hire a "white male" of "equal" ability over them, see what happens. Hell whenever you see one of these progressive (aka virtue-signalling trash) postings take the group they are talking about and flip it, then imagine stating it publicly.
      Well, the way you say it, you leave no room but to agree with what you said. But in reality it isn't that simple, reality is that more people will get hired for likeability over their qualifications in most organizations. That's a fact in my experience. And -that- really is what I'm talking about. You say that people hire the most qualified person Period, in capaital letters, but in my experience that's definitely not what happens.

Comment

In an ideal world, every job position would be filled with the most qualified individual where the person's identity is completely irrelevant. But like duby229 said, in reality, life isn't like this. Many people will not hire the most qualified person, because of prejudice. In the Linux community, we need to take what we can get. Sure, we have companies like IBM, Facebook, MS, Oracle, Canonical, Google, etc developing for Linux, but they're focusing on their own corporate priorities that don't tend to affect desktop users or enthusiasts. So sometimes you need to just accept someone who is less-than-perfect if it means something gets done. At least Linus is a perfectionist, so worst-case scenario, these people can learn to refine their work.

Again, you're missing the point. In the real world where you're applying for a legitimate job (not an internship), white males tend to be favored despite their qualifications. As long as this issue remains ignored, it will perpetuate.

Minorities can't prove themselves if nobody will hire them. Nobody will hire them if they think they're stereotypically unfit for the job. Any minority who is aware of this will be discouraged from attempting to join the field in the first place. Without enough statistical evidence and real-world references to prove they're capable, the stereotype remains. And the cycle continues.

Like I said, Outrachy is discrimination, but you don't win a hate-filled war with flowers, and you can't convince bigots to change their perspective with reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Well, the way you say it, you leave no room but to agree with what you said. But in reality it isn't that simple, reality is that more people will get hired for likeability over their qualifications in most organizations. That's a fact in my experience. And -that- really is what I'm talking about. You say that people hire the most qualified person Period, in capaital letters, but in my experience that's definitely not what happens.
          I certainly can't disagree with that. "Culture" is all the rage at tech companies now and "diversity officer" is an actual job title, whatever it takes to hire unqualified people under the guise of being "progressive" I guess. Perhaps I have an unrealistic utopian opinion on how OS should work.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

Like I said, Outrachy is discrimination, but you don't win a hate-filled war with flowers, and you can't convince bigots to change their perspective with reasoning.
            This one line should be in the dictionary under the definition for apologist. I also love your insinuation that this profession is full of "bigots". I always have to question when people knee-jerk argue using all the fashionable words projecting their sanctimonious outrage.

There are two problems that exist right now, ageism and hiring unqualified people. Funny thing is the first one is the elephant in the room that nobody addresses, ever.

Comment

I certainly can't disagree with that. "Culture" is all the rage at tech companies now and "diversity officer" is an actual job title, whatever it takes to hire unqualified people under the guise of being "progressive" I guess. Perhaps I have an unrealistic utopian opinion on how OS should work.
              Seriously? Diversity officer? I'm all for giving people an equal chance but that's just plain stupid.

Comment

[citation needed]

Comment

Originally posted by Toboe View Post
                  [citation needed]
                  Lets play a game, this game is called logic. When you remove a sizeable portion of the applicant pool for reasons other then qualifications you don't get to simultaneously claim that you hired the most qualified applicant. If you don't knowingly hire the most qualified person then you are hiring ________

Comment

Well the thing is people do state this privately and hiring trends tend to reflect this. Is your assertion that computer science grads who aren't white and male tend to be less likely to be hired and paid less because inherently they are less capable and qualified?

Comment

Originally posted by FishPls View Post
                      "It's not discrimination if it's against white men!"
                      That's what MTV thinks:

Apparently according to MTV you can segregate a group of people based on their gender and their skin color and it's cool.

Just make sure the group you're discriminating against is male and also white before segregation, those filthy nillas.

Comment

Working...
                      X