Watch David Airlie Talk About Vulkan & RADV From LCA2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by libv View Post
    The hypocrite. First he sides with ATI on destroying a proper open source display driver, then he acts like the big savior a few years down the road, when ATI is unpopular once again. Unbelievable. Powerplay all the way.
    Isn't that great that he does something nice in the present.

Comment

Originally posted by difron View Post
      Thank you for your answer! Still cant say I am convinced by this reasoning. Amd already have driver built around llvm ir. Same llvm backend or close one us used in rocm project I think. And it is natural to expect them to develop spirv llvm frontend as it is part of opengl 2.1.
      Yeah, I think directly translating spir-v to llvm ir is probably the superior solution (only by a small amount though), but the key point is that the spir-v => NIR translation already exists and is working well. Perhaps AMD will eventually release something that goes straight to llvm ir, but then they're supposed to release a full vulkan driver too, and who knows when that will happen. It's a lot of work for a driver developed by 2 people in their spare time (and now 1 guy from Valve as well) when the NIR translation already works and isn't going to cost you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268
        Yeah, I think directly translating spir-v to llvm ir is probably the superior solution (only by a small amount though), but the key point is that the spir-v => NIR translation already exists and is working well. Perhaps AMD will eventually release something that goes straight to llvm ir, but then they're supposed to release a full vulkan driver too, and who knows when that will happen. It's a lot of work for a driver developed by 2 people in their spare time (and now 1 guy from Valve as well) when the NIR translation already works and isn't going to cost you very much.
        So you answer is that development of NIR->LLVM IR translator is simpler than SPIRV->LLVM IR translator? But both are translations between IR, why it would be simpler?

Comment

Working...
        X