Vulkan Presentations On Multi-Threading, HPP, Pipeline Cache & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by log0 View Post
    B) What is the Rust API? I though Rust is a language.
    They are talking about Vulkano (notice the 'o') which is a Rust Binding/API for Vulkan and probably does use type-level state machines.

Comment

What about Rust + Vulkan?
      +1 I think Rust like Vulkan is the new era.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        What about Rust + Vulkan? The concept seems perfect, specially because SPIR-V that acts as OpenCL too (right?).
        Note that SPIR-V shaders written/compiled for Vulkan and for OpenCL are not inherently compatible. They just share the same bytecode format (and possibly some common opcodes, not sure).

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post

Note that SPIR-V shaders written/compiled for Vulkan and for OpenCL are not inherently compatible. They just share the same bytecode format (and possibly some common opcodes, not sure).
          Why didn't they unify it?

Comment

Why didn't they unify it?
            Because those are two different APIs with different shader/kernel code specifications. There are no descriptor sets in OpenCL for example. I think the trend is for Vulkan to cover more and more compute ground so it can be used in similar places as OpenCL is today, eventually taking its place as an API fit for general purpose compute.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post

Because those are two different APIs with different shader/kernel code specifications. There are no descriptor sets in OpenCL for example. I think the trend is for Vulkan to cover more and more compute ground so it can be used in similar places as OpenCL is today, eventually taking its place as an API fit for general purpose compute.
              Yes, please. That's what really should have been since day one, in my opinion. It's the only way to compete both DirectX and CUDA.

What about sound processing?

Maybe Vulkan should unify all Khronos functions inside it in a coherent and homogeneus way. This way, Vulkan would be enough and SDL2 or others just be tinier higher level wrappers in the Vulkan-friendly ecosystems

Comment

Yes, please. That's what really should have been since day one, in my opinion. It's the only way to compete both DirectX and CUDA.

What about sound processing?

Maybe Vulkan should unify all Khronos functions inside it in a coherent and homogeneus way. This way, Vulkan would be enough and SDL2 or others just be tinier higher level wrappers in the Vulkan-friendly ecosystems
                On what kind of system is sound processing handled by the GPU?

Comment

Working...
                X