Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ngkaho1234
    replied
    Just made some modifications to the project in order to compile it on ArchLinux...
    Last edited by ngkaho1234; 13 June 2016, 11:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• yzsolt
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Java version is coded like crap, period.
    It's not java per-se, it's deliberate design choices favoring easy development over performance that cause it do run like crap.
    I would argue: given Java's "allocate everything on the heap" approach, it's sort of impossible to implement a real-time renderer (and world simulator) efficiently. I've used LWJGL recently for a simple university project, and - as a C++ programmer - I tried very hard to avoid frequent allocations (e.g. in every game loop iteration) in general, but it has quickly become pretty annoying... Where you use a simple float[3] (or some vector class) on the stack in C++ with no effective performance penalty, in Java you have to change that local variable to a FloatBuffer (ugh!) member variable and explicitly use FloatBuffer's unintuitive interface to get/set the values. And you have to do this to every frequently used vector...

Of course you can just simply "new" everything, but it'll stress the hell out of the GC, (depending on the type of the GC) causing longer collection times and bigger memory consumption. Or, you can use bare floats instead of vectors, but the you have to write lots of boilerplate code, and you still have to use those ugly *Buffers to exchange data with LWJGL/OpenGL.

To be on topic: if I'd write a renderer for a Minecraft-like game (which I actually do, and it's pretty fun!), I'd write the remaining pieces myself too. I mean, given MC's obfuscated Java code without a well-defined interface (Modding API - how many years ago did they promise it?) it's not really worth binding to it. With some more work one can write a simple world generator and use that for a fun project like this.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Originally posted by juno View Post
    The funny thing about this is, that Minecraft belongs to Microsoft nowadays
    Yeah, they bought it soon after I started playing it. Just like they bought Skype soon after I started using it... I sense some pattern here.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by startas View Post
    Thats practically the same thing. Java initially was chosen for faster development and more automatization. The game is not heavy, but native version gets drowned in chunks loading.
    Java version is coded like crap, period.
    It's not java per-se, it's deliberate design choices favoring easy development over performance that cause it do run like crap.

Leave a comment:

• startas
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Logic fail detected.
    The c++ version comes from the mobile version, the one where they HAD TO optimize A LOT their CPU code because on mobile the CPUs are weak.

Java is meh performance-wise, but shouldn't be so fucking heavy per-se given the game is really simple graphics-wise.

The java engine of Minecraft for PC is coded like crap, that's the main issue.
    Thats practically the same thing. Java initially was chosen for faster development and more automatization. The game is not heavy, but native version gets drowned in chunks loading.

Leave a comment:

• juno
    replied
    The funny thing about this is, that Minecraft belongs to Microsoft nowadays

Leave a comment:

• F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy
    replied
    Originally posted by computerquip View Post
    It's not *that* great, especially given its age and the budget it has had.
    Not to you, maybe. Some might wonder why the blazes people would even bother with World of Warcraft, yet it remains to this day by far the most successfull MMORPG of all time. Is Minecraft truly great? Minecraft is about so much more than merely its gameplay. The vanilla gameplay is very thin, I'll grant you that. But it has such an active modding community that you can basically take it anywhere you want.

Regarding its performance -- Vanilla, it does indeed run quite shit but there have been optimization mods for years now that'll make it behave very nicely indeed. Which is not to say I don't welcome this Vulkan renderer. Anything that can be done to improve performance is more than welcome.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    2.1) You can test windows 10 version or any other clone, written in c or c++ - its huge improvement on resourses management and overall game performance,
    2.2) Therefore minecraft currently is not bound by cpu or gpu, but by java
    Logic fail detected.
    The c++ version comes from the mobile version, the one where they HAD TO optimize A LOT their CPU code because on mobile the CPUs are weak.

Java is meh performance-wise, but shouldn't be so fucking heavy per-se given the game is really simple graphics-wise.

The java engine of Minecraft for PC is coded like crap, that's the main issue.

Leave a comment:

• plonoma
    replied
    A few things about minecraft, as i see noobs or heiters are gathering around:
    1) Native Minecraft version is pretty casual, but:
    1.1) Manicraft has a huge modding potential,
    1.2) Minecraft with all its unofficial mods is the biggest game in human history,
    1.3) Minecraft mods can bring huge change in both gameplay and graphics (game can run).
    2) Minecraft is currently java bound and lacks optimization,
    2.1) You can test windows 10 version or any other clone, written in c or c++ - its huge improvement on resourses management and overall game performance,
    2.2) Therefore minecraft currently is not bound by cpu or gpu, but by java.
    3) But, rewriting native minecraft game in c++ would mean dropping support for all current mods and huge part of its community.
    What do you think about the problem of old OpenGL version that causes lots of stuff to be done on the CPU that can by using newer versions be done on the GPU?
    What do you think about Minetest (http://www.minetest.net/) and Terasology (http://terasology.org/) .

Leave a comment:

• startas
    replied
    A few things about minecraft, as i see noobs or heiters are gathering around:
    1) Native Minecraft version is pretty casual, but:
    1.1) Manicraft has a huge modding potential,
    1.2) Minecraft with all its unofficial mods is the biggest game in human history,
    1.3) Minecraft mods can bring huge change in both gameplay and graphics (game can run).
    2) Minecraft is currently java bound and lacks optimization,
    2.2) Therefore minecraft currently is not bound by cpu or gpu, but by java.
    3) But, rewriting native minecraft game in c++ would mean dropping support for all current mods and huge part of its community.
    Last edited by startas; 13 June 2016, 05:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X