Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theriddick
    replied
    XB1 could run vulkan no problems. The issue is with MS being dicks and locking in DX12 only

Leave a comment:

• unixfan2001
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    I think even if developers are discouraged from making ports/games for Linux, they will still see Vulkan as the better API option for compatibility wise for other platforms. Mac/Xbone/PS4 etc... Really the only concern is companies BANNING Vulkan from their OS, such as Mac which claim their metal API will be the only one allowed (but I'm sure Metal is basically a copy paste of vulkan anyway so no major port headache there).
    AFAIK, XB1 is DirectX only as well.

At least for Mac there is Molten/MetalGL (and soon MetalVK, which would allow devs to run their Vulkan codebase on iOS/OS X unchanged).

Molten includes MoltenVK, an implementation of Vulkan on iOS and macOS, plus MoltenGL, a faster implementation of OpenGL ES 2.0 on iOS and macOS.
    Last edited by unixfan2001; 15 February 2016, 03:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    I think even if developers are discouraged from making ports/games for Linux, they will still see Vulkan as the better API option for compatibility wise for other platforms. Mac/Xbone/PS4 etc... Really the only concern is companies BANNING Vulkan from their OS, such as Mac which claim their metal API will be the only one allowed (but I'm sure Metal is basically a copy paste of vulkan anyway so no major port headache there).

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Here's to hoping that they're keeping us waiting at the edge of our seats in order to announce something totally awesome alongside with vulkan's release (or release date) to bring more public attention to it and revive the interest of those who lost it while waiting past december.

I've got no interest in that book, if there's anything I've learned about learning to program, it's that 99% of all programming books are practically worthless unless you already understand the language and are looking to improve your coding technique within the language and add a few tricks up your sleeve you didn't know before.

You learn programming by doing, and for that you need a mix of simple explanations and simple code examples, that's it. Best in computer form (html is nice) so that you can copy in the code samples and make sure that they compile and do work before you start following that shit.
    Last edited by rabcor; 06 February 2016, 12:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• tigerroast
    replied
    Would any programming guide be useful for anyone just learning how to program that understands the basics of programming?

Leave a comment:

• TheBuzzSaw
    replied
    I think you're all wrong: Vulkan is indeed magic and our savior.

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by chuckula View Post

A blog article with detailed information from Nvidia -- not AMD -- about Vulkan is indicative of how NVidia is going to "lose their lead"?

Where exactly is AMD's demo of Vulkan on Linux just yet? I've seen Valve employees personally show off Dawn of the Ancients under Linux using Vulkan on Intel hardware. I've seen Imagination show off gnomes under Linux using Vulkan on PowerVR. Nvidia itself showed off Vulkan here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqensKmmRfE

Don't go counting your eggs before they are hatched. A new API doesn't absolve AMD of the responsibility to actually support its own hardware properly.
    Why don't you quote my whole post? You take one sentence out of context, meanwhile the answer to your counter argument is in the post that you ignored!

EDIT: Anybody that thinks Vulkan will replace OpenGL is dead wrong. It's too entrenched, for a long time its been the only option on non-MS PC's. And that entrenchment is deep rooted across many different applicable fields where Vulkan won't penetrate. It's not going to be a replacement it'll be a displacement. And that displacement will certainly include gaming.

EDIT: In other words, it's like the hanging gardens legend. It may look magical, but it isn't.
    Last edited by duby229; 05 February 2016, 06:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• triangle
    replied
    I hope they re-think the cover image... Vulkan is not opengl. :P

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Made by AMD people? Hope not the same ones who maintain Catalyst.
    It's been publicly known for a long time that Vulkan was based off of AMD's Mantle API.

Leave a comment:

• chuckula
    replied
    Originally posted by duby229 View Post

You're only saying that because you know that nVidia is going to lose their lead.
    A blog article with detailed information from Nvidia -- not AMD -- about Vulkan is indicative of how NVidia is going to "lose their lead"?

Where exactly is AMD's demo of Vulkan on Linux just yet? I've seen Valve employees personally show off Dawn of the Ancients under Linux using Vulkan on Intel hardware. I've seen Imagination show off gnomes under Linux using Vulkan on PowerVR. Nvidia itself showed off Vulkan here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqensKmmRfE

Don't go counting your eggs before they are hatched. A new API doesn't absolve AMD of the responsibility to actually support its own hardware properly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X