An Interesting Interview About The Vulkan API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Creak View Post

That makes me think that probably someone will create an OpenGL2Vulkan wrapper... I think that technically it's possible to do that.
    While it will be possible, ideally someone will create an SDL library, which is what I believe he was writing about.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post

While it will be possible, ideally someone will create an SDL library, which is what I believe he was writing about.
      I understand, but my idea was more about helping programmers to port their engine from OpenGL to Vulkan. The major problem Khronos will have to face is that programmers don't want to change basic bricks of code unless it's absolutely necessary. But having an SDL-like lib is also important.

Comment

Tell you what, I think someone just needs to make a Gallium3D Vulkan driver called maybe 'vkdrv' like how Virgil3D is essentially a Gallium3D 'OpenGL' pipe driver which converts TGSI to GLSL. It would be even easier to just convert TGSI to SPIR-V as well. I would guess you'd just dynamically create a Vulkan command buffer per frame from the pipe driver. It would be an interesting project indeed, and would provide Direct3D 9 (and if the patches from DX10/11 are brought back, could be adjusted to the latest Gallium3D pipe API and TGSI).

Some devs might even just start packaging their own libGL's based on Mesa on platforms with stable Vulkan drivers...!

Comment

Working...
        X