Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.3.279 Brings New NVIDIA Extension Co-Engineered By Valve

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.3.279 Brings New NVIDIA Extension Co-Engineered By Valve

Vulkan 1.3.279 debuted on Friday with many fixes/clarifications to the specifications plus one new extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if Slang was a motivation behind this.

Comment

Vulkan is now "extension hell" in the same way OpenGL was. Its initial popularity is completely gone now. Games just stick to DX12. Once in a blue moon you see a Vulkan game. Graphics devs are kind of fed up with this.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Vulkan is now "extension hell" in the same way OpenGL was. Its initial popularity is completely gone now. Games just stick to DX12. Once in a blue moon you see a Vulkan game. Graphics devs are kind of fed up with this.
        There was no initial popularity, unless you call id software using vulkan for Doom and some stadia ports paid for by google shipping vulkan on windows (RDR2) "popularity". I think what hurt vulkan's chances the most was that it had cross-vendor ray tracing extensions years after d3d12 and completely missed the train there. But even if this had been different, I don't think many devs would have a good reason to choose vulkan over d3d12, there is no relevant platform that requires the use of vulkan, and d3d12 gives you Xbox support and you can stay in the comfy ecosystem you are used to from decades of d3d9-11 dominance.
        Last edited by mbriar; 02 March 2024, 10:51 AM.

Comment

What? They still make Vulkan releases every few years and bring core features to the new Vulkan release. We see cross-compatible extensions being designed after vendors bring out their own custom extensions. So it's a lot easier to support multiple vendors at the same time. You can query pretty much all information about your devices easily to handle branching in your codebase depending on features.

I think it's overall a lot cleaner than OpenGL. In many cases you don't even need to use extensions in Vulkan. It's just that developers and vendors push extensions because they want to have a certain feature without waiting for the next Vulkan version.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is, that the most important client for Vulkan is Valve and Proton, making execution of DX12 on Linux a great experience. So as long as Proton does handle the extensions. it is a completely irrelevant how complex some feel it had become. Vulkan now runs on any platform and so DX12 runs on a lot of them too.

I call that a win.

Comment

Originally posted by Volker Schmidt View Post
              Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is, that the most important client for Vulkan is Valve and Proton, making execution of DX12 on Linux a great experience. So as long as Proton does handle the extensions. it is a completely irrelevant how complex some feel it had become. Vulkan now runs on any platform and so DX12 runs on a lot of them too.

I call that a win.
              This is just a complete failure of Vulkan, which has become de facto middleware designed for DX12 portability.

Comment

Typo: "extemsion".

Comment

Finally someone with some actual sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJackiNonster View Post
                    You can query pretty much all information about your devices easily to handle branching in your codebase depending on features.
                    ...that's the problem.

Originally posted by TheJackiNonster View Post
                    I think it's overall a lot cleaner than OpenGL. In many cases you don't even need to use extensions in Vulkan. It's just that developers and vendors push extensions because they want to have a certain feature without waiting for the next Vulkan version.
                    It's better than OpenGL, but not as good as it could have been. I can excuse OpenGL because it's old as shit. But Vulkan has no excuse to be this feature creeped.

And BTW extensions are not just "until next Vulkan version", extensions are everywhere even after they get promoted to base. It's not about them being available or not. It's about them being too many dude.

It's funny how people say x86 is bloated with too many instructions and obsolete ones, but they think it's totally fine for Vulkan. People online are so fucking cringe with their shilling.

Comment

Working...
                    X