Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan 1.3.251 Released With One New Extension Worked On By Valve, Nintendo & Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.3.251 Released With One New Extension Worked On By Valve, Nintendo & Others

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.3.251 Released With One New Extension Worked On By Valve, Nintendo & Others

Vulkan 1.3.251 is out today as a rare Sunday morning spec update for this Khronos graphics/compute API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Vulkan is so much better than dx12 but still game devs use dx12 on PC.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
      From a cross platform and openness standpoint sure but I've heard the opposite being true about the ease of use of the API itself.

Comment

developers developers developers. MS has money to make by spending money educating people to use its software. But for that reason they do have great material, documentation and tools

Comment

I just talked to Mr. Spock this morning and he's quite upset that the name Vulkan is being used without his or the Vulcan High Council's permission. I tried to explain that the "c" had been replaced with a "k" but he and the council are still upset.

So they have filed a DMCA takedown notice against The Khronos Group.

I'm sorry, I did the best I could. But those darn Vulcans are intransigently stubborn!

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post

developers developers developers. MS has money to make by spending money educating people to use its software. But for that reason they do have great material, documentation and tools
            Oh no, not that again! There was such a push from Microsoft around ~2010 to get people (especially indies) hooked on DirectX (9/10ish back then?) and XNA rather than OpenGL. And now you can see all the mugs who followed with pretty much dead codebases that missed out on so many early adoption opportunities (Android, iOS, Steam Linux/Mac, Steamdeck, Emscripten, etc).

Yes, phones couldn't run such great games back then. But they certainly can now. I hope that supposed ~1% performance increase offered by DX back then was worth the engine rewrite!
            Last edited by kpedersen; 28 May 2023, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              I just talked to Mr. Spock this morning and he's quite upset that the name Vulkan is being used [...]
              Why is Vulkan called Vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Oh no, not that again! There was such a push from Microsoft around ~2010 to get people (especially indies) hooked on DirectX (9/10ish back then?) and XNA rather than OpenGL. And now you can see all the mugs who followed with pretty much dead codebases that missed out on so many early adoption opportunities (Android, iOS, Steam Linux/Mac, Steamdeck, Emscripten, etc).

Yes, phones couldn't run such great games back then. But they certainly can now. I hope that supposed ~1% performance increase offered by DX back then was worth the engine rewrite!
                True! Whoever gets attached to Microsoft, have catastrophic consequences. Valve is the improved Microsoft Game Studios, Gabe Newell knew the evil of their old company.

I desire the best to any company bought by Microsoft too. Their productivity falls in an extreme way. Their games divisions don't get enough releases too.

Comment

I would assume at least part of the reason is familiarity dx12 isn't drastically different to dx11 when compared to dx11->vulkan, so for companies already invested heavily into dx11 supporting dx12 is probably easier then supporting vulkan, and at the very least DX12 certainly matured faster then vulkan.

I dont personally see much reason to choose DX12 over vulkan now, especially if you are a new company or individual trying to choose between dx12 or VK without prior experience with dx11. vulkan is very mature now, and ofc has great platform support (even better then opengl in the modern age, maybe not gles yet.). but I doubt many studios would be willing to transition from DX12 -> Vulkan unless they have a very compelling reason to do so, in which vkd3d is eating away at compelling reasons to do so anyways.

currently the best thing to do for vulkan adoption in the PC gaming world would be to get it into the hands of indie devs and students. so take a study at what tools they are using, make vulkan the best experience in them, and thats how to do it. you aren't going to change the big companies, things like godot have the possibility to help a lot since godot seems to be rising in popularity more and more each time I look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I would assume at least part of the reason is familiarity dx12 isn't drastically different to dx11 when compared to dx11->vulkan, so for companies already invested heavily into dx11 supporting dx12 is probably easier then supporting vulkan, and at the very least DX12 certainly matured faster then vulkan.

I dont personally see much reason to choose DX12 over vulkan now, especially if you are a new company or individual trying to choose between dx12 or VK without prior experience with dx11. vulkan is very mature now, and ofc has great platform support (even better then opengl in the modern age, maybe not gles yet.). but I doubt many studios would be willing to transition from DX12 -> Vulkan unless they have a very compelling reason to do so, in which vkd3d is eating away at compelling reasons to do so anyways.

currently the best thing to do for vulkan adoption in the PC gaming world would be to get it into the hands of indie devs and students. so take a study at what tools they are using, make vulkan the best experience in them, and thats how to do it. you aren't going to change the big companies, things like godot have the possibility to help a lot since godot seems to be rising in popularity more and more each time I look at it.
                    Vulkan ecosystem needs to make easier development for it. DirectX is a mess, but the middleware for it may make development quite foolproof.

I consider Vulkan needs to evolve 30x faster than now, finally supporting more technologies. No a zillion APIs, from Khronos or others, please. Audio should be adopted too, making OpenAL outdated and irrelevant garbage.

It seems Godot is eating Unity niche. That is a good thing, Unity sucks from a development standpoint too and not just others. I desire them the best, I like the project a lot.
                    Last edited by timofonic; 29 May 2023, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X