Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 4 Granted Official Vulkan 1.1 Conformance

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 4 Granted Official Vulkan 1.1 Conformance

Last week I mentioned how Mesa landed Vulkan 1.1 support for the V3DV driver most notably used by the Raspberry Pi 4 and newer. With those changes in Mesa Git, The Khronos Group has now officially granted this driver Vulkan 1.1 conformance for the Raspberry Pi 4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is pretty damn cool!

Comment

mesamatrix.net still only lists Vulkan 1.0 for the V3DV driver, with 3 items remaining to be added for Vulkan 1.1:
      - VK_KHR_16bit_storage
      - VK_KHR_storage_buffer_storage_class
      - VK_KHR_variable_pointers

Comment

Congratulations to the developers for this achievement!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
          mesamatrix.net still only lists Vulkan 1.0 for the V3DV driver, with 3 items remaining to be added for Vulkan 1.1:
          - VK_KHR_16bit_storage
          - VK_KHR_storage_buffer_storage_class
          - VK_KHR_variable_pointers
          These are optional extensions in Vulkan 1.1. Vulkan is a bit different to OpenGL in this regard, since OpenGL has no concept of optional features in the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

These are optional extensions in Vulkan 1.1. Vulkan is a bit different to OpenGL in this regard, since OpenGL has no concept of optional features in the same way.
            Incorrect for develope viewr we need full API implemented If someone make on application with these extensions of mandatory use for correct performance It may already be optional that you are going to obtain poorly performance
            Tell AMD GPU what happens with the implementation of interlock shaders in the applications that use it mandatory implementation. You should force the API to be 100% compatible if you want 100% compatible software running on it. beucase never work if amd not implemented this on the driver.

Khronos makes a mistake in giving conformance to the RPI4 when there is much that will not work because they are not implemented because whoever develops it does not want to implement it.
            Theirs would be Vulkan 1.1 is implemented with limitations Not everything from vulkan 1.1 SDK will work

Comment

Fantastic news. I'm hoping to try some zany stuff on my Ubuntu Pi with Oibaf PPA, like running GNOME with the Vulkan backend and playing with Zink on the Pi.

Comment

Great! I hope for Vulkan 1.2 support within next year.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo_34 View Post

Incorrect for develope viewr
                  It's correct per the official standard, as proven by the fact that it's been granted official conformance.

we need full API implemented
                  That's a you problem. Or, well, if your application is popular enough, then it will provide pressure on the Pi developers to add the extra API's you need, just as if your app had required Vulkan 1.2 and the driver didn't yet provide it. But that has nothing to do with Vulkan 1.1 conformance, it's a matter of your app needing more than what Vulkan 1.1 guarantees.

Comment

smitty3268 Sorry if my answer sounded too harsh My problem in what way? If someone used everything that Kronos provides in the API and it is to be used for our propourse, right?
                    But after the drama with AMD I don't expect anything from the developers mesa3d
                    Only Intel driver more or less "Listens" to emulators to implement what is required not refused to implemented for "Optional" extension.
                    I'm still waiting for AMD developers to implement Shaders interlocks in their drivers, an API that was added in the Vulkan 1.1.110 SDK in 2019.
                    Only supported by NVIDIA 900 series and next or Intel skylake gpus and next in 2021.

It is normal for one to get angry with these decisions, this does not help the developer, it makes you have to control if it supports it or not and there are not always alternatives to work without it with the same perfomance.

The future to take into account in ARM devices is to talk to the developers of freeAdreno that I see that they implement a lot of Vulkan things, still optional. That is the way to go little by little to implement 100% of the api .

Nextgen future good option will be Qualcomm + Adreno GPU
                    And I will consider to see what I do with the manufacturers that do not follow the correct go for a developers gaming

Comment

Working...
                    X