Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GRVK 0.3 Released For Continuing To Implement AMD's Deprecated Mantle API Atop Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRVK 0.3 Released For Continuing To Implement AMD's Deprecated Mantle API Atop Vulkan

Phoronix: GRVK 0.3 Released For Continuing To Implement AMD's Deprecated Mantle API Atop Vulkan

GRVK is the open-source project implementing AMD's Mantle API on Vulkan. Mantle was the precursor to the Vulkan industry standard and while it's no longer in use by AMD, there still are some games out there that allow making use of it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should be useful for improving performance in those games which have Mantle support but not support for Direct3D 12 or Vulkan (e.g Battlefield 4)

Comment

Cool. Kinda like 3dfx glide implementations these days, cool to see things at their best.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
        Should be useful for improving performance in those games which have Mantle support but not support for Direct3D 12 or Vulkan (e.g Battlefield 4)
        What? they didn’t even bother updating Battlefield 4 with Vulkan ??
        And I was wondering why EA had such bad reputation....

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Well it's several years old, I don't think anyone bothers going back and updating their game engine with support for a new 3D API. We only get that when Feral Interactive and others release ports for macOS, Linux etc.

Comment

Wasn't the Windows version of Civilization: Beyond Earth one of the games that supported Mantle? I'm not sure if there is much to benchmark in a turn-based strategy game, but it will be interesting to see a comparison of the Native Linux version (presumably limited to OpenGL) with the Windows version running on top of Proton and GRVK in Mantle mode. This is assuming that no Vulkan patch was later released for that game on either platform.

By the way, they should have totally called this project "Manticore". That would have been a much cooler name. What kind of a name is GRVK? It doesn't even have an M in the acronym.
            Last edited by SteamPunker; 15 March 2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

If only that was why they had such a bad reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by SteamPunker View Post
                By the way, they should have totally called this project "Manticore". That would have been a much cooler name. What kind of a name is GRVK? It doesn't even have an M in the acronym.
                Mantle functions are prefixed by "gr" (for example "grCmdDraw") and name was inspired by DXVK so result is GRVK.

Comment

Working...
                X