No announcement yet.

D9VK Forming As Direct3D 9 Over Vulkan Based On DXVK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may be wrong, but I tend to agree what venemo is saying. I don't think that running dx9 over vulkan makes it automatically faster than native. Even if it should be so, gallium nine will be faster. As it is the more direct approach.

Also gallium nine is stable. It exists for years. I dont think a single developer can catch up so quickly and reach their compatibility level.

The only downside actually are drivers who can't run with the gallium interface. But hey, they are free to join the open source wagon.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by torbido View Post
      A guild of how to use it >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXUfuGX2YBk It is for Windows 10 but it works on Linux also.
      He, he, that game he used as example actually got native port

Dear Desperados Fans, We are happy to tell you that Desperados - Wanted Dead or Alive now runs well on modern operating systems: Windows 7 / 8 / 10 New: Mac and Linux support! Includes a long lost demo mission where Cooper, Doc and Kate free a town from Outlaws. A challenging level from back in the old days when some games still had rather difficult demos Language selection has been added in game.

Comment

Originally posted by torbido View Post
        If you interested to run older DX games over Vulkan, there is a working project that translate older DirectX games from 1-9 to DX10/11 that can be run over Vulkan through DXVK (DX1-9 >>> DX10/DX11 >>> DXVK >>> Vulkan)

I already tried some DX8, and DX9 games, and they are running without any problems.

The project called Dgvoodoo >>> http://www.dege.freeweb.hu/

The latest version WIP57 is the only version that run DX9 games, and it is still under development.

The performance isn't great, but it is better than wined3d, and it could help with running older games that don't run on Wine.
        One could use nGlide and run Glide games via Nine directly or Vulkan again directly:

nGlide is a 3Dfx Voodoo Glide wrapper. It allows you to play games designed for 3Dfx Glide API without the need for having 3Dfx Voodoo graphics card. All three API versions are supported, Glide 2.11 (glide.dll), Glide 2.60 (glide2x.dll) and Glide 3.10 (glide3x.dll). nGlide emulates Glide environment with Direct3D and Vulkan.

no need much for triple translations like DX11toVKtoXYZ

For some D3D8 games one could try d3d8to9 and to run that via Nine for speed again Nine is not great at FF, so YMMV there!

A D3D8 pseudo-driver which converts API calls and bytecode shaders to equivalent D3D9 ones. - crosire/d3d8to9

This pseudo driver is even opensource so be free to improve it

Just saying, both dgVoodoo and wined3d runs like crap for mixed DDRAW+DX7 mostly, so nothing helps there much DX6 or lower is good enough with wined3d already, maybe only if you wanna fix something here and there per app then you might need some wrap hack.
        Last edited by dungeon; 01 March 2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Yeah, not holding my breath for the DXVK's author support. It's good to see people picking it up and making their own spin of it. The new effort as well as the others ones (i.e. the one trying to tie DXVK closer into WINE) are what is needed for DXVK to advance.

Comment

So is this a general-purpose D3D9-to-Vulkan translator? What kind of runtime dependencies does it have?

Comment

Awesome :-) The approach of D9VK sounds very promising. Can't wait to replace Wine's D3D9 implementation with a Vulkan based one!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Typically, that's the kind of thing I would say, because I'm usually against skilled developers focusing on unnecessary redundancy. But this project is definitely different. If this work could be merged into DXVK, that could potentially obsolete all other projects. It would be so much more user-friendly to only need 1 library, and who knows, maybe it could be merged into Wine and then they can strip out their old translation layer (though, I'm not keeping my hopes up for that). I think it'd be great for DXVK to be an "all-in-one" DirectX translation layer, ideal for newer PCs with newer capabilities.

Then, we have stuff like Gallium9, which is good for old or low-end PCs that aren't Vulkan compatible.

So, Ashton, keep up the work. I'm excited to see more.
                I don't think Wine should ever strip their old implementation, it's useful for people that don't have Vulkan compatible GPUs.
                Now put it in maintenance mode, sure.

Comment

It's nice that idea of implementing DX9 on top of Vulkan isn't dead or stalled but I have one question (I'm just curious): Why forking DXVK and adding DX9 API to it instead of helping VK9?

Comment

One day the runtimes will be in the place they belong: Mesa (Gallium3D).

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

I'm the guy who is working on making Nine work on Iris. Once that's good, I'm gonna look into getting Nine+Zink run on NVidia, so Nine can be used on all 3.
                      Hello Venemo,

were to put my 'last' (!) Nine _NIR_ radeonsi bug report (TS2019 - train half/semi transparent, front/back lights seen through, catenary seen through in the footplate).

Comment

Working...
                      X