No announcement yet.

D9VK Forming As Direct3D 9 Over Vulkan Based On DXVK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a whole bunch of Direct3D versions prior to 9. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D#Overview

Do many popular games rely on these pre-9 versions?

Does Wine support all the old Direct3D versions? I searched the Wine site and found a bunch of references to Direct3D 8, e.g.:

Direct3D 8 and 9 now use the same code.
    source: https://www.winehq.org/news/2006030301 (2006)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Typically, that's the kind of thing I would say, because I'm usually against skilled developers focusing on unnecessary redundancy. But this project is definitely different. If this work could be merged into DXVK, that could potentially obsolete all other projects. It would be so much more user-friendly to only need 1 library, and who knows, maybe it could be merged into Wine and then they can strip out their old translation layer (though, I'm not keeping my hopes up for that). I think it'd be great for DXVK to be an "all-in-one" DirectX translation layer, ideal for newer PCs with newer capabilities.

Then, we have stuff like Gallium9, which is good for old or low-end PCs that aren't Vulkan compatible.

So, Ashton, keep up the work. I'm excited to see more.
      Totally agree. If we want to push over Win Gamers using Linux in the feature to gain more ground for the Linux gaming world it is necessary to make it as userfriendly and performance driven as possible. DXVK in combination with Proton has shown that Linux Gaming even with non native games can be feasible within a few clicks.... I was hoping that a skilled dev will do a d9 to vulkan layer.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post

It's my time, I'll do what I want with it, making something I want to make.
        Thanks for using your time for this project!

Comment

Typically, that's the kind of thing I would say, because I'm usually against skilled developers focusing on unnecessary redundancy. But this project is definitely different. If this work could be merged into DXVK, that could potentially obsolete all other projects. It would be so much more user-friendly to only need 1 library, and who knows, maybe it could be merged into Wine and then they can strip out their old translation layer (though, I'm not keeping my hopes up for that). I think it'd be great for DXVK to be an "all-in-one" DirectX translation layer, ideal for newer PCs with newer capabilities.

Then, we have stuff like Gallium9, which is good for old or low-end PCs that aren't Vulkan compatible.

This has the advantage over Gallum9 that it's driver-independent and portable. It works on Windows and potentially Android too.

So yes it was needed. It also lets DX9 software work into the future in-case drivers do stop supporting DirectX9.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
            There's a whole bunch of Direct3D versions prior to 9. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D#Overview

Do many popular games rely on these pre-9 versions?

Does Wine support all the old Direct3D versions? I searched the Wine site and found a bunch of references to Direct3D 8, e.g.:

source: https://www.winehq.org/news/2006030301 (2006)
            Some do!

Don't worry, d9vk will support d3d8 too once I get the ball rolling

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

What the world doesn't need is advice from "helpful" people like you. Thank you for your taking time out of your busy day to share your wisdom with us! /s

Well done, you win best answer. A cold beer for you or your preferred beberage.

Comment

Thank you!

You can call me Josh btw 🐸

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post

It's my time, I'll do what I want with it, making something I want to make.
                  Well said, I for one wish you all the luck with this project.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                    This has the advantage over Gallum9 that it's driver-independent and portable. It works on Windows and potentially Android too.

So yes it was needed. It also lets DX9 software work into the future in-case drivers do stop supporting DirectX9.
                    I was thinking of mentioning driver-independence and portability, but I wasn't 100% sure if Gallium9 wasn't and I didn't feel like being corrected, so I left that bit out.
                    It terms of being needed though, this is where Venemo actually has a point, because Linux/Wine will still get DX9 support whether Gallium9 or D9VK cease to exist. However, that doesn't at all diminish the point that D9VK will be incredibly useful in the future, and we're better off having it.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 01 March 2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

thanks for your work JoshuaAshton

Comment

Working...
                      X