Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoltenVK Sees Big Update To Jump-Start Vulkan On macOS In 2019

Phoronix: MoltenVK Sees Big Update To Jump-Start Vulkan On macOS In 2019

Next month MoltenVK will celebrate one year since being open-sourced for allowing the Vulkan API to function on Apple's macOS/iOS by mapping the Vulkan calls to the Apple Metal graphics/compute API. Just in time for that first birthday, a big MoltenVK update is now available...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Vulkan-1.1.97

It will be nice when DXVK works with MoltenVK.

Comment

Now macOS is going to need an OpenGL 2/3/4.x to Metal 2 runtime translation library. I'm suddenly guessing a crap load of games on Steam for Mac will break when Apple finally pulls the plug on the their deprecated and unoptimized OpenGL and OpenGL ES implementations, in a future macOS release?

There is MoltenGL but that appears to only target the older subset OpenGL ES 2 API.
      Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 01-18-2019, 05:18 AM.

Comment

I'm guessing this will continue for another 4-5 years before Apple admits defeat and moves to Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
          I'm guessing this will continue for another 4-5 years before Apple admits defeat and moves to Vulkan.
          I don't see that happening. Apple doesn't care about games, especially on OS X.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
            Now macOS is going to need an OpenGL 2/3/4.x to Metal 2 runtime translation library. I'm suddenly guessing a crap load of games on Steam for Mac will break when Apple finally pulls the plug on the their deprecated and unoptimized OpenGL and OpenGL ES implementations, in a future macOS release?

There is MoltenGL but that appears to only target the older subset OpenGL ES 2 API.
            Presumably Mac users are already used to newer releases of their OS not supporting their old software. I don't think Apple try to maintain a high level of compatibility between each new version of OS X.

I expect someone will produce a runtime translation lib, like you suggested.

Comment

Feral have made it clear they won’t be using MoltenVK, they have their own DX-Metal/Vulkan porting libraries. Besides, MoltenVK is lacking quite a few features (Tessellation support being one).

Comment

Working...
              X