No announcement yet.

DXVK 0.94 Released With New Optimizations, Game Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As many people have said, you can get a fully working license for like 5-10€ on eBay.
    Sure it may not respect every term of the license but it will work without any problem, so nobody cares in the end.

And I'd like to point out that *you don't need a key* to use Windows these days. If it's not activated, it will just display a message in the lower right corner of the screen.
    But it will continue to work without any problems.

Finally, the comparison would turn in Windows favour anyway:
    Fortnite : Windows 25fps, Linux 0fps (doesn't run)
    PUBG: WIndows 18fps, Linux 0fps (doesn't run)

The cost of the Windows license just doesn't matter in a DIY environment.
    What would be interesting on the other hand, is giving the choice to pre-built buyers at first startup :
    - LInux (0€)
    - Windows (roughly 50€-90€ depending on the OEM)
    I bet Linux Marketshare would improve significantly (though the vast majority would probably still choose Windows, but it would at least get the ball rolling).

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
      I'd be interested in benchmarks where two gaming PCs are built for the same price;
      • one runs windows and so has less money for hardware
      • the second uses linux + dxvk but spends on hardware instead of windows
      It would be especially interesting as you can buy powerful gpu for the price of windows.
      • $139 home, $166 in Poland
      • $199 pro, $290 in Poland
      What would perform better? - native windows with say i5 8th iGPU or wine on linux with same setup + 6gb gtx1060?

There could be plethora of setups. I bet linux would win in most.
      You can buy a Windows license for less than $20 on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post

You got illegal key for $25, congrats. This key as legal as using activator.
        There's no law in any country of the world which forbids you to use a Windows key purchased from another country.

Congrats for making up absolute bullocks.

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
          As many people have said, you can get a fully working license for like 5-10€ on eBay.
          Sure it may not respect every term of the license but it will work without any problem, so nobody cares in the end.

And I'd like to point out that *you don't need a key* to use Windows these days. If it's not activated, it will just display a message in the lower right corner of the screen.

Finally, the comparison would turn in Windows favour anyway:
          Fortnite : Windows 25fps, Linux 0fps (doesn't run)
          PUBG: WIndows 18fps, Linux 0fps (doesn't run)

The cost of the Windows license just doesn't matter in a DIY environment.
          What would be interesting on the other hand, is giving the choice to pre-built buyers at first startup :
          - LInux (0€)
          - Windows (roughly 50€-90€ depending on the OEM)
          I bet Linux Marketshare would improve significantly (though the vast majority would probably still choose Windows, but it would at least get the ball rolling).
          It's great to see reasonable people on Phoronix forums.

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
            I'd be interested in benchmarks where two gaming PCs are built for the same price;
            • one runs windows and so has less money for hardware
            • the second uses linux + dxvk but spends on hardware instead of windows
            It would be especially interesting as you can buy powerful gpu for the price of windows.
            • $139 home, $166 in Poland
            • $199 pro, $290 in Poland
            What would perform better? - native windows with say i5 8th iGPU or wine on linux with same setup + 6gb gtx1060?

There could be plethora of setups. I bet linux would win in most.
            Renting a VM to play Windows games is an option these days:

Comment

Originally posted by gurv View Post
              And I'd like to point out that *you don't need a key* to use Windows these days.

If it's not activated, it will just display a message in the lower right corner of the screen.

Indeed.

For whatever reason, people are unaware of this.

Until DXVK/Proton is mature enough for everyday gaming (impressed by recent advances, but still a long way to go), non-activated Windows (even in its own separate partition) is the more sensible choice.

Comment

Working...
              X