Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Lands Support For Vulkan On macOS Via MoltenVK

Phoronix: Wine Lands Support For Vulkan On macOS Via MoltenVK

CodeWeavers' Andrew Eikum has added support to Wine for using Vulkan on macOS via the open-source MoltenVK...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Using vulkan is not a panacea though, it would seem.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding something though.

Comment

More like wrappers upon wrappers upon wrappers. :^)

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post

You do. Thats not specific to dxvk is a bit like BNE or reshade work.
        However DXVK replace d3d and so on as a hole not just, load in front of original dll-> apply changes -> load dll.

Comment

Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
          More like wrappers upon wrappers upon wrappers. :^)
          Closer to translators really since DX12/Vulkan/Metal all kinda do the same thing.

Comment

Your link doesn't show enough exposure, but thanks for your report.

Digital Extremes Ltd are the developers of Warframe. Their parent company is a Chinese company known as Leyou (previously known as Sumpo Food). Warframe developers are banning users that use Wine with DXVK. I wonder how they are able to detect DXVK, it seems like a "bug" from my point of view.

Anyway, this is a quite harsh attitude and there should be some kind of PR to avoid this kind of actions. These actions seem unethical and no tolerable at all, in my opinion.
            Last edited by timofonic; 14 July 2018, 03:34 AM.

Comment

They aren't doing it out of spite though. Warfarm is a competitive multiplayer game and allowing players to alter the 3D libraries would allow any kind of graphics-related hack without the game being able to notice.

I don't know how they are doing the checks (if they are doing them at all, as running Warframe in Wine is also a breach of this since Wine already replaces DX libraries to remap them on OpenGL), nor if they can realistically do serious checking, as DX libs might be updated by windows and this would break any checksum-based check.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                Digital Extremes Ltd are the developers of Warframe. Their parent company is a Chinese company known as Leyou (previously known as Sumpo Food). Warframe developers are banning users that use Wine with DXVK.
                There are no cases of such "autobans" reported afaik. It's just an official statement from techsupport.

Using Wine isn't different from using DXVK, as both replace the windows DX libs with their own, and so far I've not seen people reporting bans because of that.

I wonder how they are able to detect DXVK, it seems like a "bug" from my point of view.
                The easiest way is checksumming and checking the hash with a "known good" list. But they don't seem to detect even Wine's DX-to-OpenGL layer, so why would they detect DXVK?

Anyway, this is a quite harsh attitude and there should be some kind of PR to avoid this kind of actions. These actions seem unethical and no tolerable at all, in my opinion.
                Your opinion is wrong, allowing players of a multiplayer game to alter 3D rendering libraries is a pretty big issue for cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Your opinion is wrong, allowing players of a multiplayer game to alter 3D rendering libraries is a pretty big issue for cheating.
                  Never heard of such. How would you do that?

Banning Wine is simply unfriendly. But chinese copy everything, so maybe they're doing something unlawful?

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

Closer to translators really since DX12/Vulkan/Metal all kinda do the same thing.
                    Isn't Metal higher level than Vulkan and D3D12?

Comment

Working...
                    X