A Proof-of-Concept Vulkan Window Compositor Is In the Works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
    Good news, but how many DEs will be able to enjoy it? I count 2 : Mate and Xfce, I wish it would work with Gnome and Kde or they can merge this work if it arrives to work
    A new XFCE compositor would be benefit enough.

Currently XFCE stutters so terribly any headway would really improve the situation for them.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
      How so?
      Windows GUI is limited, not extendable, and the more time passes the more they are turning it into unusable crap, having anything else to replace it with is good.

Vulkan is cool but not the main reason this is good.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 01 April 2018, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
        BTW I wasn't aware that OpenGL ES in particular is a requirement. In fact I am pretty sure it works with regular OpenGL, which will be a dependency for a bunch of software that will likely never get ported to Vulkan, and thus a necessity.
        Wayland would work with openGL too, but they prefer OpenGL ES as it does not carry a truckload of x11-specific hacks in its libraries.

Also, software that will never be ported to OpenGL can be run over a vulkan-to-OpenGL wrapper, or just dropped as obsolete crap when their time comes (eventually it will come) and replace them with new stuff that works with Vulkan natively.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 01 April 2018, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post

Also, as you know there's some performance overhead when running OpenGL games on an OpenGL desktop. I'm guessing this has to do with the driver managing multiple GL contexts. Perhaps with Vulkan this can be avoided?
          Unless you use a sane desktop (like KDE) that temporarily disable compositing when you launch games ;-)

Comment

Working...
          X