Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan Is Now Available On macOS/iOS By MoltenVK Being Open-Sourced, Vulkan SDK for Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is also good to see how Vulkan can be mapped to a similar API while still mantaining good performance.
    Vulkan to DX12 is promising as well.

Comment

spending time with a OS and a company who don't cares about nothing or nobody, only profits, this ppl are really stupid. Is better spend time in something else than this, if Apple guys don't want this why losing time? They will upgrade the system to broke this in few weeks and I hope so, Apple is one of worst companies out there at least Windows works with good performance

Comment

Only going to support vulkan via vulkano in my projects then

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
          spending time with a OS and a company who don't cares about nothing or nobody, only profits, this ppl are really stupid. Is better spend time in something else than this, if Apple guys don't want this why losing time?
          What Valve wants is in the coming years devs to do more cross-platform development using Vulkan to target all PC platforms. i.e. Linux, MacOSX, Windows.
          What Valve thinks is that if people are targeting DX12 for windows, Vulkan for Linux and Metal for MacOSX then it increases the work needed in porting games and as a result the smaller platforms lose out and only Windows wins.... Basically they are trying to create synergy by making cross-plaform development easier.

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
            Only going to support vulkan via vulkano in my projects then
            Really puts a hamper in gfx-rs' argument for the complexity of abstracting multiple APIs when Vulkan is now available everywhere, on everything except the Xbox One and Nintendo 3DS.

Comment

Isn't there a Khronos project to target Dx12 to Vulkan? That would cover Xbox one. Nintendo switch also supports Vulkan.

Comment

No wonder I don't own any Apple products as long as they don't care about open source and open APIs like Vulkan.
                Congratulations again to Valve!

Comment

Apple has no reason to support Vulkan. Metal API serves OS X and iOS beautifully. The notion Apple must support this is ludicrous. It's the same notion that Microsoft must support DirectX on Linux and elsewhere. Do you see Apple porting DirectX to OS X/macOS/iOS? No. Do you see Microsoft porting Metal API to Windows? No.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    No wonder I don't own any Apple products as long as they don't care about open source and open APIs like Vulkan.
                    Congratulations again to Valve!
                    Enjoying that Printer or Clang/LLVM? What? How about OpenCL? What? There is more but you get the point. You use Apple funded products daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                      Apple has no reason to support Vulkan. Metal API serves OS X and iOS beautifully. The notion Apple must support this is ludicrous. It's the same notion that Microsoft must support DirectX on Linux and elsewhere. Do you see Apple porting DirectX to OS X/macOS/iOS? No. Do you see Microsoft porting Metal API to Windows? No.
                      It's incorrect to compare DirectX/Metal to Vulkan. Only the latter one is the open standard. Besides that Apple has not to "support" Vulkan — it's a GPU vendor's task — they just have to allow it.

Comment

Working...
                      X