RADV Vulkan Driver Improvements Coming For Wolfenstein 2 On Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Play the long game: one day GNU/Linux will be the OS choice for games consoles. You could argue that with the use of WebKit/FreeBSD on PS4 and Vulkan on Switch, we are largely there already.
    While I somewhat agree, I suspect that's not what oooverclocker is talking about when he writes "outstanding personalities" and "community support".

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    15 years ago, no-one would have thought that Linux/Android phones/tablets would be so mainstream!
    Again, Android is not (just) Linux when you look at it as a gaming platform, and, at the very least, Linux is not Android.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      If only the hate for Linux wasn't so strong within Bethesda! wolf2 would probably already be on linux...
      It's not about hate, but money. Bethesda actually explicitly allows OpenMW on Linux, in contrast to not allowing it on certain other platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

It's not about hate, but money. Bethesda actually explicitly allows OpenMW on Linux, in contrast to not allowing it on certain other platforms.
        Why wou,d Bethesda have any say in an open source product, unlesß you're saying they have actually give the project their blessing? I hope Beth has no intentions on OpenMW.
        Hi

Comment

The Chicken and the egg. "id Tech 6 engine but sadly remains Windows-only aside from the consoles"

"Maybe Linux users could try actually buying games if they wanted people to port them!" - Pierre-Loup Griffiasuld

What games? Developers that could but will not support other platforms . Cuphead game made with Unity3d no linux or mac support wrapped up in flatpak

So Valve interest in flatpak was borrowed from pirates to package windows games? Interesting Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
            Here on planet Earth, Milky Way, Stardate 95752.74, most of us agree that gaming on Linux is at best something for Linux enthusiasts and even then, most of us have more fun at configuring the system to play games than actually playing the games...
            so you are from that subset of us who doesn't know what most popular gaming platform(android) is iinux?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

This. Bethesda has 0 reason to port games to Linux. There's 1% marketshare extra AT MOST for a huge pandora's box of pain on the support side. It's just not worth it. I'm frankly very surprised Valve is still trying. Not sure what their long term game is, I just hope it's not a "can't go back now" thing.

Don't get me wrong tho, any effort to improve the linux mess is great. I love the damn platform, even tho gaming on it is fubar since day 1.

Comment

I'm bewildered by comments like "gaming on Linux is at best something for Linux enthusiasts" or "gaming on it is fubar since day 1".
                Do you people know that gaming doesn't necessarily mean running the latest AAA game on day 1?
                I've gifted a PC with Linux Mint to my nephews and they seem very happy playing Civ V, Rocket League, Stardew Valley etc.
                And as far as problems running games go, you have it on Windows too (especially on Windows 10, from what I read on forums): it's part of the PC experience.
                If you want a trouble-free experience, that's what consoles are for after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

This. Bethesda has 0 reason to port games to Linux. There's 1% marketshare extra AT MOST for a huge pandora's box of pain on the support side. It's just not worth it. I'm frankly very surprised Valve is still trying. Not sure what their long term game is, I just hope it's not a "can't go back now" thing.

Don't get me wrong tho, any effort to improve the linux mess is great. I love the damn platform, even tho gaming on it is fubar since day 1.
                  So gaming on Linux is FUBAR, but still managed to improve, especially over the past few years. Either I can't speak English anymore, you're simply blowing things out of proportions.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    so you are from that subset of us who doesn't know what most popular gaming platform(android) is iinux?
                    See my previous reply, Linux is not Android and Android is not just Linux. We are talking about Linux as a gaming platform, community supported: that means desktop Linux, not Android nor consoles.

Originally posted by gurv View Post
                    Do you people know that gaming doesn't necessarily mean running the latest AAA game on day 1?
                    Sure, but that does not make a success history for Linux as a gaming platform. Even FreeBSD runs many games via Wine: would you call it a successful gaming platform?

​​​​​​​
                    Originally posted by gurv View Post
                    And as far as problems running games go, you have it on Windows too (especially on Windows 10, from what I read on forums): it's part of the PC experience.
                    I think the real problem is desktop Linux has failed (at least as of today), so there aren't many games for it. Failure being the gaming platform of choice is just a consequence. Windows does have its share of problems when it comes to run games, but in general desktop Windows has won, and almost every game is developed for Windows, so Windows has won as a gaming platform too.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

desktop Linux has failed (at least as of today)
                      Only if your only metric for success is mass adoption or huge profits. As a collection of many libre projects, it being installed as far and as wide as it is (and only roughly 1.2 million steam gamers machines), it's an unmitigated success. No one ships this thing, which means those who use it, use it by choice.

Adjust your perspective

Comment

Working...
                      X