Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keith Packard Plumbs Direct Display Extensions Into RADV & ANV

Phoronix: Keith Packard Plumbs Direct Display Extensions Into RADV & ANV

As part of his ongoing contract work for improving virtual reality head-mounted display (VR HMD) support on the Linux desktop, now that his DRM leasing and other X.Org Server / kernel level work is getting in order, Keith Packard sent out a set of patches implementing direct display extensions for Mesa's Radeon RADV and Intel ANV Vulkan drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The code added to Mesa for the ANV/RADV Vulkan drivrs implement

Comment

Couldnt this get used for fullscreen games too? I wonder if there are performance gains...

Comment

So why is this part of that instead being just part of Wayland protocol? Excuse me for my ignorance, but I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Can someone explain it? Please, I'm curious about all this VR fluff.

Is the ValveVR compositor Open Source or implementable as having Open Specifications or proprietary?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          So why is this part of that instead being just part of Wayland protocol?
          Keith Packard doesn't really like Wayland, he's like the oldest X dev still around.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
            Couldnt this get used for fullscreen games too? I wonder if there are performance gains...
            It could, but the problem is that there is the mouse & keyboard input in a lease. The VR applications get away with it because with OpenVR/SteamVR applications get input from the controllers via a special API in OpenVR and don't use the generic X keyboard and mouse input. Furthermore with OpenVR/SteamVR applications are supposed to have a preview or "companion window" on the desktop and applications that need it can just get mouse and keyboard input from that window.

There could of course be an automatic input forwarding service but someone would have to implement it.

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            So why is this part of that instead being just part of Wayland protocol? Excuse me for my ignorance, but I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Can someone explain it? Please, I'm curious about all this VR fluff.

Is the ValveVR compositor Open Source or implementable as having Open Specifications or proprietary?
            Now it's part of the randr and X protocol. Wayland will probably add support soon.
            SteamVR is closed source. Reimplementing the whole compositor with all the fancy frame prediction&interpolation when the application renders too slowly etc is probably a lot of work. But implementing OpenVR just so it gets something on the screen isn't too bad. See for example: https://github.com/ChristophHaag/openvr_api-libre. That project is just the bare minimum though, to make it usable for most OpenVR applications takes a lot more actual implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
              It could, but the problem is that there is the mouse & keyboard input in a lease. The VR applications get away with it because with OpenVR/SteamVR applications get input from the controllers via a special API in OpenVR and don't use the generic X keyboard and mouse input. Furthermore with OpenVR/SteamVR applications are supposed to have a preview or "companion window" on the desktop and applications that need it can just get mouse and keyboard input from that window.

There could of course be an automatic input forwarding service but someone would have to implement it.

Now it's part of the randr and X protocol. Wayland will probably add support soon.
              SteamVR is closed source. Reimplementing the whole compositor with all the fancy frame prediction&interpolation when the application renders too slowly etc is probably a lot of work. But implementing OpenVR just so it gets something on the screen isn't too bad. See for example: https://github.com/ChristophHaag/openvr_api-libre. That project is just the bare minimum though, to make it usable for most OpenVR applications takes a lot more actual implementation.
              What's the reasoning for not Open Source it? :O

Comment

Working...
              X