Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Lands GLVND Support For EGL

Phoronix: Mesa Lands GLVND Support For EGL

GLVND is the NVIDIA-led effort for the new "Linux OpenGL ABI" or basically the OpenGL Vendor Neutral Dispatch Library to allow multiple OpenGL drivers to happily co-exist on the same system. Mesa's existing GLVND support has been limited to GLX while now there is EGL support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

which opengl version supports mesa 17?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      which opengl version supports mesa 17?
      I assume you mean "which opengl version does mesa 17.1 support?"
      IIRC, for Intel it's 4.5 for Haswell or newer, 4.2 for Ivybridge, and 3.3 for older chips.
      For AMD, it's 4.5 for SI or newer (with LLVM 3.9 or newer) and 4.1 for R600.

I assume you haven't seen this fancy chart yet: https://mesamatrix.net/
      Last edited by Mystro256; 17 April 2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I don't know about 17.0, but 17.1 supports GL 4.5 for my home desktop's Radeon 7850 and my work laptop's iGPU (haswell mobile).

I believe that 17.0 also supported GL 4.5 on the Radeon, but I don't know if it did for the haswell chip.

I believe that Ivy Bridge supported GL 3.3 for Mesa 17.0, and now supports GL 4.2 in 17.1

Can't say for sure about other chip makes/generations. GL support in Mesa is dependent upon both the core Mesa support and the code for individual chipset drivers as well. Some chips also depend on a given kernel version for a given GL level as well.

In the case of RadeonSI, the exposed GL version also depends on the installed LLVM version.
        Last edited by Veerappan; 17 April 2017, 01:38 PM. Reason: Added more detail about ivy and the support matrix.

Comment

Has breakdowns by mesa version and hardware. (Unfortunately the AMD folks aren't too prompt with uploading their information...)

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

I assume you mean "which opengl version does mesa 17.1 support?"
            IIRC, for Intel it's 4.5 for Haswell or newer, 4.2 for Ivybridge, and 3.3 for older chips.
            For AMD, it's 4.5 for SI or newer (with LLVM 3.9 or newer) and 4.1 for R600.

I assume you haven't seen this fancy chart yet: https://mesamatrix.net/
            I mean exactly: which opengl version mesa support? (I omitted does because it is useless: "?" is enough)

I have the gt 730: nvidia drivers support up to opengl4.5 mesa 17 up to 3.0 opengl Is it normal?

Comment

I mean exactly: which opengl version mesa support? (I omitted does because it is useless: "?" is enough)

I have the gt 730: nvidia drivers support up to opengl4.5 mesa 17 up to 3.0 opengl Is it normal?
              For the gt 730 (nvc0), 4.5 is supported for 17.1, while for 17.0 it's only 4.3. You maybe looking at the compat profile, which is only 3.0 for mesa. You want to look at the core version, not the compat version.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

For the gt 730 (nvc0), 4.5 is supported for 17.1, while for 17.0 it's only 4.3. You maybe looking at the compat profile, which is only 3.0 for mesa. You want to look at the core version, not the compat version.
                So how can get the core version working? Or is it working although system information notify the 3.0 version on opengl?

Comment

Without 'does' you'd have a grammatical issue in your sentence

As for your question, since you're highly unlikely to use core mesa, it depends on the driver you use.
                  Last edited by geearf; 17 April 2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                    Without 'does' you'd have a grammatical issue in your sentence

As for your question, since you're highly unlikely to use standard mesa, it depends on the driver you use.
                    After installing the distro I have always got this result: mesa 3.0 for x11 although chrome or chromium detect the 3.3 profile. That's important also because the user can choose between 2.0 or 3.1 video opengl profile in some KDE distros.
                    Last edited by Azrael5; 17 April 2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X