Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa 17.0.1 Is Near, Release Candidate Is Out

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mesa 17.0.1 Is Near, Release Candidate Is Out

    Phoronix: Mesa 17.0.1 Is Near, Release Candidate Is Out

    Emil Velikov has announced the availability today of the Mesa 17.0.1 release candidate...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ease-Candidate

  • #2
    The thing I'm happy about is how it can be installed alongside nvidia blob with libglvnd
    https://www.archlinux.org/news/mesa-...ow-in-testing/

    Seems like practical progress towards a better experience.

    Next up I wouldn't mind seeing FOSS fallbacks in the even the blob doesn't work, eg: xorg on ubuntu updates and blob fails - so it falls back to nouveau dumping the user in a nouveau LightDM greeter instead of dropping their ass all the way to console.

    As a Ubuntu user years ago, I was frequently annoyed at how often my system would bork and drop me to TT1 only to try to figure out what to do in elinks or w3m to get nvidia working again.

    A less skilled & more noob me just fixed the problem by reinstalling ubuntu 3-8 times.

    I think dropping users to console is unacceptable if ubuntu/opensuse/manjaro and others want to be a desktop user os.
    Last edited by ElectricPrism; 01 March 2017, 03:55 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Awesome release as always, hope to get the updated mesa 17 in fedora 25 at some point.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        Next up I wouldn't mind seeing FOSS fallbacks in the even the blob doesn't work, eg: xorg on ubuntu updates and blob fails - so it falls back to nouveau dumping the user in a nouveau LightDM greeter instead of dropping their ass all the way to console.
        Honestly it would probably suffice if the system actually told one what was wrong (i.e. "hey user, couldn't start X server because driver failed to load/cat is sleeping on your keyboard/whatever") and provided a fallback boot option. But no, debugging X.org issues always starts with a plain login prompt and no clue about what is going on.

        That said, it's been quite a few years since I've had that happen without it being my own fault, on both AMD (open source drivers) and Nvidia (blob).

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          ...

          I think dropping users to console is unacceptable if ubuntu/opensuse/manjaro and others want to be a desktop user os.
          Also (perhaps a bit off topic) the cases where you have to enter "nomodeset" as a kernel boot parameter on new installations. Because you just get a black screen (or a purple one) when booting a new installation. Experienced Linux users probably have no idea how many hours one may have to spend to figure out that such a thing as "nomodeset" exists. I wonder how many potential new users gave up on Linux just because of that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kmare View Post
            Awesome release as always, hope to get the updated mesa 17 in fedora 25 at some point.
            You can already, if you're willing to try an unofficial COPR, I use this one: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/che/mesa/

            Comment

            Working...
            X