No announcement yet.

Another Potential CPU Optimization For Mesa: Quadratic Probing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are methods of subsiding the poor cache miss of a linked list. You can have a linked list where the nodes point to set size blocks of memory (particularly aligned to a cache boundary but no more than size of a cache line) which contains elements. You still require sequential access up to a point but deleting and inserting is still extremely fast and list growth is instant until you reach the cache line size. Implementation can get a bit complicated though. I've seen this on an older device which was used to save memory (not necessarily be faster). I should try and benchmark this idea someday though to see how it pans out.

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
      Yes, but you can't use arrays/vectors containing structs or objects within the array, if you want to pass around pointers to these structs and objects, that need to remain valid while there are insertions and deletions.
      you can solve this the same way as any other computer science problem. and it still can be faster than list.
      (Or if you want two arrays over the same set of structs, and copying them is not an option.)
      in this case with intrusive containers you need additional members. so you have to know in advance in which lists you will insert objects of your type. goodluck putting it in N lists. again easily solvable by vector of pointers
      In my experience, that's the typical use case for linked lists.
      in my experience typical use case for lists is everything is list because they are taught early and relatively easy to implement in c where you don't have standard containers
      Last edited by pal666; 11 February 2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        you can solve this the same way as any other computer science problem. and it still can be faster than list.
        If speed of sequential access decides (iteration and/or modification), linked lists are faster than a vector of pointers, since that is an additional object you need to access and manage. (BTW you don't need to use malloc.)

in this case with intrusive containers you need additional members. so you have to know in advance in which lists you will insert objects of your type. goodluck putting it in N lists. again easily solvable by vector of pointers.
        True, but two lists, for example, is not problem. I did implement something like a simple C equivalent of 'vector of pointers', which I use in cases where it is more convenient and (sequential) performance is not crucial.

in my experience typical use case for lists is everything is list because they are taught early and relatively easy to implement in c where you don't have standard containers
        Using lists for everything would be quite awkward. I do miss a 'library of containers' for C and have implemented more myself than I wanted to. I enjoy doing so, though.

Was close to using the "better string library" (which claims to be faster than std::string, with C++ wrappers), but then decided to do my own little thing, customized for my specific requirements and use patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
          Just a note about benchmarking linked-lists:

The performance of (modified or new) linked lists after application warmup is lower than their initial performance. Initially an application is more likely to allocate memory sequentially which means that a linked list can be nicely laid out in memory. After the application reaches (global or local) peak memory consumption the addresses returned by the memory allocator are more-or-less randomized which means that newly allocated list elements will be randomly distributed as well. An uncached random memory access is much slower than sequential/linear access.
          The same applies to vectors of pointers (and you have the vector as an additional memory location). In either case, there are alternatives to using malloc (for each element).

Using vectors of structs or objects, is simply not an alternative if you need stable pointers, so there isn't much point in making that comparison. There seems to be the danger that you say vectors of structs are faster, creating the thought that the same applies to vectors of pointers.

Comment

Also, an array/vector-of-pointers, by itself, adds significant overhead when there lots of very short lists. I have many cases where a large number of structs/objects each has a sub-list of typically just 0, 1 or 2 children.

Comment

If speed of sequential access decides (iteration and/or modification), linked lists are faster than a vector of pointers, since that is an additional object you need to access and manage.
              not necessarily. for example, if you add N objects to list, you dirtied N cachelines, if you add N pointers to vector, you dirtied N / 8 cachelines

Comment

not necessarily. for example, if you add N objects to list, you dirtied N cachelines, if you add N pointers to vector, you dirtied N / 8 cachelines
                Sure, there are exceptions, such as adding elements without updating the data itself.

Comment

Working...
                X