Mesa 17.0 Delayed To Allow For Ivy Bridge OpenGL 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    And here I am sitting on a Sandybridge system feeling left behind.
    You shouldn't. Sandy driver supports all the hardware itself supports. It's the hardware itself that can't do more than this.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Ha, ha, and some cards supported by r200 are faster than RPi3 GPU... so maybe we should drop vc4 first
      For the sake of not confusing others: this comparison between a GPU supported by r200 and a GPU of a modern embedded device is bullshit as the TDP of the two devices is just a few orders of magnitude different.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post
        There has been effectively no speed increase over the past 5 years or so from Intel, so people are using those older chips a lot longer than previously
        That's not true, at all. Yes, Intel CPUs haven't really improved much in the past 5 years but their GPUs have improved tremendously. I would argue the main reason to get a Skylake vs a cheaper Haswell system would specifically be because of the IGP (assuming you were going to use it).

A 55% increase is significant, especially when you consider power consumption hasn't really changed.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          For the sake of not confusing others: this comparison between a GPU supported by r200 and a GPU of a modern embedded device is bullshit as the TDP of the two devices is just a few orders of magnitude different.
          I never clamed that they are the same, just that perf is similar so usability of that GPU is similar in performance... on features both can't do full GL2, but VC4 fake it like nVidia with 5xxx serie back then And now we are faking also fp64 support to get GL4

Back then we talked about opensource properness above all, but now we are showing same face as anybody else
          Last edited by dungeon; 18 January 2017, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X