Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Got Another Optimization After The 13.0 Branching

Phoronix: RadeonSI Got Another Optimization After The 13.0 Branching

A short time after Mesa 13.0 was branched in Git yesterday, well known AMD open-source developer Marek Olšák was landing new work in master...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...st-Post-13-Opt

While this is a highly welcome work, it is still sad that GPU driver devs have to work around design flaws of game developers / porters. (And a wrapper isn't really a port.) Anyway, if this help getting Witcher to "fly" (or at least run instead of walk or sneak) I'll be happy. I still got Witcher 1 and 2 as DVDs, both also on GOG and Witcher 3 also on GOG (preorder), though I didn't even play it yet. Butch the first parts were fairly good games, I liked the atmosphere and interactions of pt. 2 a little better (and no bald elves -> wtf!) but the controls were... well, less nice than pt. 1.

Anyway, cheers to the developers or the driver stack.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      While this is a highly welcome work, it is still sad that GPU driver devs have to work around design flaws of game developers / porters.
      it is like compiler devs should develop optimizations instead of everyone writing in hand-optimized assembly

Comment

Well to be fair, this highlights how great the Mesa Project really is.

Comment

Sadly, Witcher 2 needs multithreaded OpenGL to perform well.

Comment

Batman Arkham Origin always crashed my computer, so I'm happy to see progress there, on top of the rest.
            I played The Witcher 2 without any major issue I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              it is like compiler devs should develop optimizations instead of everyone writing in hand-optimized assembly
              More like porters doing really stupid things (probably using some half assed shader conversion tools) that compiler devs have to write optimizations for.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                Is there any incentive to get multithreaded GL working ? I assume it's quite a lot of work to get that right ?

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                  Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
                  Is there any incentive to get multithreaded GL working ? I assume it's quite a lot of work to get that right ?
                  In my experience, Mesa developers are highly resistant to innovations which would reduce the amount of work needed.

There does not exist a different way except for the way of letting them implement it at their own pace.

It's related to how quickly a person is able to learn new concepts and start using new concepts.

Comment

this should provide much help to DirectX 9 eON game ports by Virtual Programming like Witcher 2
                    I guess saint row: the third should also benefit from the patch. As it is, the game is so slow that it's unplayable on my machine (HD7970)

Comment

Working...
                    X