Mesa Development Has Gone Wild This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    Then we need optimisation work completed.
    If that ever get completed... Blobs also optimize as far as they currently can, then devs just leave it where it is so that time could fixed it

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Since both Mesa and Vulkan is so close to completion for many GPUs, I doubt we'll ever see such a surge of progress again in a very long time. Not that this is a problem - there's still a lot to do, so if the pace keeps up Linux will no longer be seen as an OS with shoddy GPU drivers.
      Many users still think the year of Linux desktop will never be. So many issues. The next problem right after GL drivers is Mir vs Wayland vs X.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Many users still think the year of Linux desktop will never be. So many issues. The next problem right after GL drivers is Mir vs Wayland vs X.
        That is why newbee linux users should start with some enterprise distro, where they can avoid development issues as much as they can.

I never recommend nothing rolling for newbee, as rolling distros can be for them like running Windows 12 alpha

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          I am one of those people, but I don't think that's because of GPU drivers. Even if all GPUs in Linux outperformed Windows, there still would never be a "year of the Linux desktop". In my eyes, in order for there to be a YotLD, there would have to be more computers being sold with Linux on them than Windows, or at least more new Linux users than there are Windows PCs being sold. It's very possible that could happen, but we're still not there yet. I'm not exactly sure how far away we are, either. Depending on when/if Steam Machines get sold, and whether or not people feel they are classified as Linux desktop PCs, that could have a pretty big impact.

Comment

Mir vs Wayland vs X is the wrong mindset. The year of the Linux desktop won't happen because the Desktops are too focused on API rewrites and not focused enough on apps. Until there's a real drop-in replacement for most windows desktop apps Linux is going nowhere.

Comment

Obligatory image:

But seriously, hats off to all MESA devs, bug trackers, and everyone who supports the eco-system.

Been using MESA a couple months now and the pool is warm, so if you've been hesitant yes I 100% recommend MESA & AMD right now.

Comment

Mir vs Wayland vs X is the wrong mindset. The year of the Linux desktop won't happen because the Desktops are too focused on API rewrites and not focused enough on apps. Until there's a real drop-in replacement for most windows desktop apps Linux is going nowhere.
                This is the reality, folks. Finally someone said it in a very clear way!

Another issue is NIH. There's tons of APIs and frameworks, yet they seem half baked to me. More collaboration would benefit everyone, except maybe Red Hat and Canonical

There's a GIANT list of FOSS applications that:
                - Needs extreme improvements: Most FOSS equivalents are a joke compared to most equivalents by big corporates.
                - Less competition with whatever shitty API, more code improvement and reuse by very low dependency libraries: GStreamer should die and become part of FFMpeg, libpurple should be extremely refactored to avoid so much dependencies and not a zillion plugins, LibreOffice and others should modularize most of their code in libraries, etc.
                - Don't exist AT ALL. This is like certain specialized software in industrial sectors, videogames, electronics, etc.
                - Need to be community governed: More agnostic to certain company interests.
                - More stronger efforts in file format interoperability: LibreOffice is doing a lot with Document Liberation, but there's much more to do in lots of other kinds of applications.

Comment

We might not have that much apps, but we have hundreds of window managers - thanks to X, and no one stops you to write apps for linux.

BTW, also it is better if people talk about their distros, as linux is nothing it is just a kernel - so saying "linux" is relative, as no one know what is that

Comment

Sorry to crash your party, but 2016 is also the year of the infamous bug in radeon which makes TF2 and other major games unplayable by hard locking your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco View Post
                      Sorry to crash your party, but 2016 is also the year of the infamous bug in radeon which makes TF2 and other major games unplayable by hard locking your machine.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93649
                      Just like every version of Windows ever released has done? Hell, I stick a USB drive in to my laptop and Windows blue-screens. I have to reboot in to a linux to reformat the drive after Windows chews it before I can reuse it again in Windows. This is only a recent phenomenon for me and on Windows 7 of all things. Frustrating to say the least.
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X