We Might Never See A New OpenGL Version, At Least Not For A Long Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    They first have to see if the new "close to the hardware" APIs actually become widely used and successful outside of gaming consoles.
    I think it is important to remember that hardware accelerated rendering is not just used for games.

On mobile and increasingly on embedded, the standard UI technologies are doing that as well, and desktop will eventually also get there.

While most of these are currently built on top of OpenGL, they are in the very same situation game engine developers are: the OpenGL API is too highlevel for their use case as it was intended to be used by application developers. Low-level APIs such as Vulkan , while more complicated from the single app developer's point of view, allow engine and UI framework developers more freedom and better control on what they do, when they do it, etc.

So even if for games these new APIs will only be used for consoles, they are likely to be used very wide spread on mobile and embedded platforms.

Cheers,
    _

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post

I’m not familiar with Supertux but it seems to me it’s a really simple 2D platformer. If it is CPU-bound, either it’s not using the GPU (using SDL1?), or there is something stupid in the code that could be optimized.
      Maybe this: https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/issues/625
      They are drawing each tile one by one.
      And what if i tell you that driver threaded optimization fixes their problem automatically? So point here is they might get it as is, but with VK for free

Comment

Basically it seems that besides the Vulkan/DX12 transition there are no huge changes expected for next time. Will be interesting if Apple will jump on the Vulkan path sooner or later to make game ports more easy. What will be needed for the next years is mainly raw gfx power to make VR a success and some generic ways to fully utilize two or more gpus. Not sure if any Linux Vulkan game engine supports more than one gpu yet.

Comment

He, he, i don't expect Apple as they pushing Metal, but Samsung Vulkan

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            if Apple will jump on the Vulkan path sooner or later to make game ports more easy.
            The general consensus between game designers I've seen talking over teh internets, seems to be that Apple is not a target anymore for native code for games.

Ah and those about VR didn't even care of Apple because their GPUs suck balls anyway, and for example the guy at Oculus was very blunt about that http://www.shacknews.com/article/935...-good-computer

Comment

Considering Microsoft's high level DX hasn't moved much by recent years I really don't think OpenGL not pushing out new versions is bad. It means open source stack can catch on, Vulkan support is solid, AMD will have both binary and open source support for it, if you want to use Nouveau, well, as far as I know they have said they can work on it, they just need work force. Intel has one too. Things are pretty good all considering.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                SDL2 supports Vulkan for example, most third party game engines support Vulkan or are adding support now.
                What do you mean by that, I didn't see anything Vulkan in current hg tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                  What do you mean by that, I didn't see anything Vulkan in current hg tip.
                  https://www.reddit.com/r/vulkan/comm..._running_with/

Comment

Ok, when you said support I would at the minimum have expected there to be an interface for common swapchain setup across platforms. At this point you still have to code platform-dependant even when using SDL2 for window setup..

Comment

Working...
                    X