Mesa Has Already Seen More Code Changes This Year Than All Of 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post

One of the reasons is control. For example, I like to keep my GPU cool. I can do that on Windows by moving the Fan slider to 55% and the GPU will never get hotter than 45-50ÂșC at FullLoad. The same task, in Linux, requires too much thinking/tinkering and it tedious and prone to errors. Contrary to what some have suggested, "RTFM" does not apply to most people, most probably think "oh I have to read a manual and do this bunch of stuff just to achieve this simple task that already works on Windows? Guess which OS I'll be running". And don't get me wrong, is not that I personally don't like to mess with software (it's tedious, but I like it), it's just that making things harder will not get Linux much marketshare, and this also means we'll have slower/poorer support for things that matter to most people. While I'm here re-compiling the Kernel/Mesa/xorg-server because developers introduce stupid bugs or are still trying years-old technologies, people using Windows are just enjoying their games with twice the performance. We could be doing the same thing if "Linux" as a whole was easier for everybody. It's getting there, but it's far away from perfect (not that Windows is, though).

Without this control is hard to test things too, e.g. OverClocking, which seems to work best on Linux for me. Since most of my games ATM have reduced performance on Linux if compared to Windows, it wouldn't hurt to extract ~10 FPS more but increasing clocks and voltages a bit
    I quote the smart of this comment. How can device manager and control panels of peripherals and main components to be missed by developers is not understandable. How to see if Ram and FSB operates in synchronous way 1:1 for example!? To see cores and gpu temperature I have to write sensors... ok. But is it so difficult to implement tese info into the info system tool!?

Comment

Azrael5 To be fair, I think Linux software developers (such as AMD's driver developers/engineers) have always had a history of "shortage of people working on it", sort of speak. I think even nowadays AMD have way less people working on the OSS drivers than on proprietary ones, and so they still need to work on bringing good support for these drivers (that are already present in the proprietary ones) instead of bringing some of the eye-candy.

But IIRC we're really close to seein a new interface for controlling some of the card's functions, similar to what Crimson brought to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        Perhaps I've got the solution: an eeprom programmer able to erase save and copy bios in those kind of chips, is is also able to modify the hex into the chip. It is a bit expansive. Today I made a try to another video card but I burned it. That vga had another kind of problem it missed the pciid and 5 adapters were exposed instead of usual 2. However now it is burned.
        Read the post I wrote to you and you still refuse to read. I talk about a chip programmer that costs 5$ and is supported by flashrom.

I also talk about how to do what you need to do now.

Comment

many developers on linux forget to face with final users, they assume that user is a programmer. That's one of the reasons many users refuse to approach with linux operating systems. many developers don't have the intelligence to understand the simplicity.
          ok thanks for suggestion I have to combine the device you suggest with the soic8 clip so to program the chip of the bios directly over the card withot desoldering it or them. Is it possoble to match both of them?

Comment

ok thanks for suggestion I have to combine the device you suggest with the soic8 clip so to program the chip of the bios directly over the card withot desoldering it or them. Is it possoble to match both of them?
            programming the chip without desoldering does not always work, as the contacts of the chip are still connected to the card and that can be a big sink, especially for the 3.3 v line.

But yes, there are ebay auctions where there is a soic8 clip + cables + programmer I talked about.

for desoldering the chip with a soldering iron you need to watch videos on youtube.
            You need to place a blob of solder on the chip pins on both sides so you can heat up everything well, then you heat one side, then the other then you heat again the first side and repeat until you see that the solder is fused on both sides, then you can try to pull the chip gently with pincers.

It is better if you practice at least once on a dead electronic board as if you don't do this right (heated enough and gentle enough) you can strip the contacts from the circuit board, and at this point it's a PITA to fix.

Professionals use hot air desoldering stations or tools (NOT hot air guns, those are paint strippers), and with that it's very easy to pull a chip, but the cheaper hot air desoldering tools cost around 40$.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              programming the chip without desoldering does not always work, as the contacts of the chip are still connected to the card and that can be a big sink, especially for the 3.3 v line.

But yes, there are ebay auctions where there is a soic8 clip + cables + programmer I talked about.

for desoldering the chip with a soldering iron you need to watch videos on youtube.
              You need to place a blob of solder on the chip pins on both sides so you can heat up everything well, then you heat one side, then the other then you heat again the first side and repeat until you see that the solder is fused on both sides, then you can try to pull the chip gently with pincers.

It is better if you practice at least once on a dead electronic board as if you don't do this right (heated enough and gentle enough) you can strip the contacts from the circuit board, and at this point it's a PITA to fix.

Professionals use hot air desoldering stations or tools (NOT hot air guns, those are paint strippers), and with that it's very easy to pull a chip, but the cheaper hot air desoldering tools cost around 40$.
              ok thanks for information.

Comment

Working...
              X