No announcement yet.

For Those Interested In GPGPU Compute, Here Are Many Radeon RX 480 OpenCL Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Those Interested In GPGPU Compute, Here Are Many Radeon RX 480 OpenCL Tests

Phoronix: For Those Interested In GPGPU Compute, Here Are Many Radeon RX 480 OpenCL Tests

With yesterday's lengthy AMD Radeon RX 480 Linux review and the follow-up posts for this Polaris graphics card launch, I didn't have too much time to run OpenCL compute tests. However, here are some fresh OpenCL Polaris numbers with the AMDGPU-PRO driver stack for those curious about the compute potential of this $199+ graphics card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you a lot.

It is a bit hard to compare with the other cards since the tests are not always the same. I notice in luxball HDR not only did it perform way below a 980 but also below a 780ti...

EDIT and even a bit below a 960.
    Last edited by Dedale; 30 June 2016, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
      Thank you a lot.

It is a bit hard to compare with the other cards since the tests are not always the same. I notice in luxball HDR not only did it perform way below a 980 but also below a 780ti...
      I will have some side-by-side CL results for this whole data set probably in a few days.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
        Thank you a lot.

EDIT and even a bit below a 960.

In luxmark database it's shown that its not even near half the score Michael got with 480.
        Maybe you are comparing it with luxmark 2.0 scores?

Not sure how you interpreted, sources for clarification would be nice!

Comment

As the whole internet is loud about the suspected out-of-spec power consumption of the 480, a thorough testing of this would be welcome, if you have the equipment to do it. Make it premium-only, if needed. Motherboards running linux want to survive too!

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            As the whole internet is loud about the suspected out-of-spec power consumption of the 480, a thorough testing of this would be welcome, if you have the equipment to do it. Make it premium-only, if needed. Motherboards running linux want to survive too!
            I have posted all my full-system power results in the original article, or what are you wanting to know specifically?
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by extraymond View Post

In luxmark database it's shown that its not even near half the score Michael got with 480.
              Maybe you are comparing it with luxmark 2.0 scores?

Not sure how you interpreted, sources for clarification would be nice!
              I do not have access to the database you linked to. I have browsed the openbenchmark tests by videocard and tried to identify similar sounding tests to compare. I hope you are right and i failed. I will watch closely the coming tests.

@Michael: I think he is speaking about the consumption of the GPU card alone. Other tests put it at nearly 170 watts in charge.

Comment

Michael I heard some rumors, that RX 480 can draw more power through PCIe then allowed by specification.

Comment

To verify the out-of-specs power consumpition Michael would need to have an PCIe-extender with the devices to measure the current of all power supply paths to the gfx card...

I really wonder why AMD didn't put an 8-pin ATX connector and pulled the current through this. Everything would have been fine and within the specifications.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                    "... this $199+ graphics card ..."

RX 480 8GB is 293 EUR at my location.
                    4GB is $199 and 8GB is $229... while it is actualy $239 plus $54 tax for Europe and $=EUR somehow became regular price

Dunno how i get to that math , but price is sort of somewhat $50 more in Europe it seems . How much are nvidia cards more expensive at launch time in EU?
                    Last edited by dungeon; 30 June 2016, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X