It Looks Like Canonical Will Soon Publish Vulkan Mir Support On Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Why do Mesa and Mir need special support to get Vulkan running on Mir, when it works on Wayland from Day 1?
    https://www.collabora.com/about-us/b...t-for-wayland/
    The Vulkan driver was largely written by Kristian Høgsberg (the Wayland project founder) and Jason Ekstrand (another Wayland developer). They also use Wayland on their own machines, so it makes sense that they would have enabled support for it right away. (:
    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Why do Mesa and Mir need special support to get Vulkan running on Mir, when it works on Wayland from Day 1?
      https://www.collabora.com/about-us/b...t-for-wayland/
      Because Vulkan and Wayland are standards agreed on by hardware/driver makers, and by everyone else. So they were ready to support it already (as they had info and stuff already)

Mir is made by Canonical, which does not make hardware, and Mir is used only by Canonical, so they are the only ones that have any interest in adding support for it in Mesa.

I'ts basically down to "more money" behind Wayland, and "not anywhere near that much money" behind Mir

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
        It's not like the Wayland team is a bunch of cavalier programmers trying to help the greater good. It's backed by IBM and Red Hat, which are bigger corporations than Canonical.
        You got it wrong.
        The point here is "trying to make standards and working all together on it" (force multiplier) vs "making their own personal implementation for the hell of it" (wasting resources reinventing dozens of incompatible crappy wheels).

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
          Honestly they should have continued upstart since systemd just likes to absorb everything and become a memory hog with its logging "journal" system and ditched Mir for wayland... everyone would have won. But no they do opposite.
          1. I'm sure you couldn't tell the difference between systemd, upstart, sisvinit and the other init system provided by Gentoo (whose name I don't remember) without looking it up, so your troll attempt is invalid.

2. ditching upstart was Debian's decision, they held a vote on "do we want to keep maintaining this piece of crap that isn't better than sysvinit even if it tries hard?" The "NO" won. Ubuntu announced "we are switching to systemd" shortly after.

3. in general, abiding to standards and sharing the (development and mainteneance of the) same core components is the reason there are different thriving distros. Ubuntu tries hard to go The MS Way(tm), and in all situations got pwned and eventually dropped their own project.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 21 May 2016, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post

The Vulkan driver was largely written by Kristian Høgsberg (the Wayland project founder) and Jason Ekstrand (another Wayland developer). They also use Wayland on their own machines, so it makes sense that they would have enabled support for it right away. (:
            They didnt add support for vulkan. The way wayland works is that application can choose how to draw images themselves, so anything will work as long as they pass the surfaces in the format wayland understands. That is how i understood it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              1. I'm sure you couldn't tell the difference between systemd, upstart, sisvinit and the other init system provided by Gentoo (whose name I don't remember) without looking it up, so your troll attempt is invalid.

2. ditching upstart was Debian's decision, they held a vote on "do we want to keep maintaining this piece of crap that isn't better than sysvinit even if it tries hard?" The "NO" won. Ubuntu announced "we are switching to systemd" shortly after.
              I actually use gentoo and its openrc. The one whoms trolling is you. PS i use systemd anyway. But its bloatware.

Comment

but did IBM and red hat install spyware into their OS like Canonical did with ubuntu/unity?

I thought we were talking about Mir here. If you haven't noticed, Unity in Ubuntu 16.04 has it off by default. Must have gotten too cozy for you under that rock.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post

I thought we were talking about Mir here. If you haven't noticed, Unity in Ubuntu 16.04 has it off by default. Must have gotten too cozy for you under that rock.
                  ubuntu has become a pretty much irrelevant distro so why should i care if its off or on by default? its there.

Comment

ubuntu has become a pretty much irrelevant distro so why should i care if its off or on by default? its there.

It's still the biggest Linux distro by number of users, so it's far from irrelevant.

And you should care because you brought it up in a topic where the alleged "spyware" isn't even relevant... lol. You're making yourself look like an uninformed moron.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Singh View Post

It's still the biggest Linux distro by number of users, so it's far from irrelevant.

And you should care because you brought it up in a topic where the alleged "spyware" isn't even relevant... lol. You're making yourself look like an uninformed moron.
                      statistics show otherwise. Ubuntu is number 3. Who is uninformed now?

Comment

Working...
                      X