Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two More Bits Of OpenGL 4.4 Get Tidied Up In Mesa

Phoronix: Two More Bits Of OpenGL 4.4 Get Tidied Up In Mesa

Mesa has inched a tiny bit closer to supporting OpenGL 4.4 thanks to work done by Collabora's Timothy Arceri...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good job Arceri. Maybe this year Mesa will reach 4.5

Comment

I'm betting GL4.5 by July.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
        I'm betting GL4.5 by July.
        mesa has releases in june and september

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          mesa has releases in june and september
          Yea, and it would be just our luck that important changes happen just after a release month.

Comment

It's nice to see the activity increasing a little bit on the new features side of Mesa. I still find the pace a little low though. Proprietary drivers have latest compatibility on day 1, but we're still 3 versions behind (4.3, 4.4 and 4.5) and that, for several months now, and that's just for Mesa, I'm not even talking about the drivers implementation, and not even optimizations!

All I'm saying is that day 1 vs 1 year... the time gap is really huge. And with the arrival of Vulkan, OpenGL will get less and less incentives.

At this pace, I see OpenGL 4.5 for AMD and NVIDIA for late 2017, early 2018... that is just too long for the game industry I think.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

Yea, and it would be just our luck that important changes happen just after a release month.
              Everything happens step by step so it comes when it's done and that doesn't follow any release cycle.
              I would rather say that it's good that extensions gets done.
              tarceri Your working hard on extensions for mesa and it's very appreciated.

Comment

Wow, he actually got people to review his patches? Poor guy has been waiting for reviews for a long time, I remember seeing those patches months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                  Wow, he actually got people to review his patches? Poor guy has been waiting for reviews for a long time, I remember seeing those patches months ago.
                  Your comment makes me think why are there a so big bottleneck in the patch reviewing process of MESA.

Bigger projects like Linux kernel seem faster at this. Am I right?

Any hope to improve the MESA development process?

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                    we're still 3 versions behind (4.3, 4.4 and 4.5) and that, for several months now, and that's just for Mesa, I'm not even talking about the drivers implementation, and not even optimizations!
                    for mesa we are behind 5 of 42 extensions of 4.3/4/5, some of which are uninteresting and others are almost done. learn to count. btw, it is 5 out of 129 extensions for 3.0+. to count pace from opengl 1.0 is left as homework for you.
                    And with the arrival of Vulkan, OpenGL will get less and less incentives.
                    vulkan arrived two years ago when intel and amd started driver development. did mesa die in the meantime?
                    At this pace, I see OpenGL 4.5 for AMD and NVIDIA for late 2017, early 2018... that is just too long for the game industry I think.
                    you can't think properly. game industry does not need 4.5 and full mesa opengl will be complete in a few months
                    Last edited by pal666; 06 March 2016, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X