replied
    Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
    Fork! Fork! Fork! Fork!
    Spork! Spork! Spork! Spork!

Leave a comment:

• hochglanz
    replied
    Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
    ... The only problem with this approach is that it would probably damn hard to get the support from major companies like ATI or NVIDIA for that (however, that reason has never prevented some OSS developers to implement their ideas).
    I don't think that hardware support is too hard, because no vendor want to be dependend on only one player, which dictates the market and therefore everything.

Well, it was a rather bad day! Hope that throught OpenCL maybe also OpenGL will make a leap ahead, someday...

Leave a comment:

• flami
    replied
    Originally posted by numasan View Post
    I've also been waiting long for this announcement, but I'm not a developer so I'm sad to see the reactions. I do work with OpenGL apps as a 3D/compositing artist, and it's only been lately that 3D DCC apps have included OGL 2(.1) functions, so I guess OGL 3(.1) functions are a way off still.

About games, id Software still uses OpenGL for "Rage" the new title they are working on. It is IMO the best looking realtime graphics I've seen yet, so I don't understand those of you who think DX10 is superior.
    Its not the features that are the problem , its that they promised a modern API , as in easily to maintain , 1 way not 5 to get 1 result, object based etc.
    But this didnt happen, nothing got deleted , so theres still 5 ways to do the same, its not object based, and because of that its hard to maintain your code. ( and drivers devs will have fun implementing 5 ways to do the same stuff to suport all the people that use them) .

D3D changed its API several times ( and lost backwards compatibiltiy ), to meet the requirements of modern APIs. ARB promised a similar aproach for OGL3, but the API still is similar to the one used in the 90s . This is the main reason people say D3D is superior to OGL.

This is the big disapointment, its not about features.
    ( imagine you are promised a nice sports car and instead you get a raceboat , its nice but its not what you wanted )

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
    OMG! Boom goes plans to get a Radeon HD4850. How long before we see hardware support for OpenGL 3.0 ? I guess its direct competition is going to be DirectX 11.0, since OpenGL 2.1 takes care of DirectX 10.

Is it going to enter the kernel soon ? When ?
    The hardware is already out, has been for a while. a DX10 card has no issues running OGL3.

Leave a comment:

• numasan
    replied
    I've also been waiting long for this announcement, but I'm not a developer so I'm sad to see the reactions. I do work with OpenGL apps as a 3D/compositing artist, and it's only been lately that 3D DCC apps have included OGL 2(.1) functions, so I guess OGL 3(.1) functions are a way off still.

About games, id Software still uses OpenGL for "Rage" the new title they are working on. It is IMO the best looking realtime graphics I've seen yet, so I don't understand those of you who think DX10 is superior.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    who programs games on bare ogl+glut anyway? sdl and friends are there for a reason.

A fork would be stupid - it would kill ogl and the fork.

Leave a comment:

• MetalheadGautham
    replied
    OMG! Boom goes plans to get a Radeon HD4850. How long before we see hardware support for OpenGL 3.0 ? I guess its direct competition is going to be DirectX 11.0, since OpenGL 2.1 takes care of DirectX 10.

Is it going to enter the kernel soon ? When ?

Leave a comment:

• rbmorse
    replied
    Fork! Fork! Fork! Fork!

Leave a comment:

• NeoBrain
    replied
    I think one problem with OpenGL is that it actually was never made for programming games with it. It was a tool to create powerful CAD applications, which didn't even need to be hardware accelerated. Because of its nature, OpenGL now keeps the support for the workstation business and tries to add support for games, but these two things actually have very different needs and thus, creating a "clean" API is very hard as there will always be areas which never get touched in either games or CAD programs.
    Ever wondered why D3D is superior to OpenGL today? It's only supposed to be used for games, and as such the API is optimized for that use.
    What we would need is a complete restart (yeah, I'm one of these guys who say starting from scratch is always a good idea ;-) ) with a new API that is tied to programming games only and let the OGL ARB do whatever they want to go back to workstation-only. The only problem with this approach is that it would probably damn hard to get the support from major companies like ATI or NVIDIA for that (however, that reason has never prevented some OSS developers to implement their ideas).

Leave a comment:

• remm
    replied
    I read the reactions of a bunch of DX fanboys on opengl.org. The bottom line however, is that if they wish to sell their games to me, they better not use DX 10+ (should stick with OpenGL or DX 9), due to the Vista+ only support. Some game developers understand this perfectly well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X