Intel Compute Shaders Appear Nearly Ready For Mainline Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'd rather Intel focus on GL 4.x than GLES. It doesn't really make sense to me why intel would actively support GLES. The sole reason there are applications that support GLES is because there are hardware platforms out there that don't support openGL. Of those platforms, none of them use intel products. So by intel supporting GLES, they're indirectly promoting the usage of non-intel products.
    array_of_arrays and compute shaders are not just focusing on GLES. it is needed for 4.3 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      yes it uses, and with tizen
      Have no idea about Tizen, but you can download Intel's "android-IA" and check it yourself. There is no Mesa, but proprietary driver based off Windows OpenGL driver and it's works on top of open source kernel driver.

There is other port called Android x86, but it's not sponsored by Intel and of course all Android devices with Intel CPU use android-IA because it's contain crucial proprietary components like ARM Binary translator.
      Last edited by SXX⁣; 06 October 2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
        Have no idea about Tizen, but you can download Intel's "android-IA" and check it yourself. There is no Mesa, but proprietary driver based off Windows OpenGL driver and it's works on top of open source kernel driver.

There is other port called Android x86, but it's not sponsored by Intel and of course all Android devices with Intel CPU use android-IA because it's contain crucial proprietary components like ARM Binary translator.

this driver you are talking is the powervr driver, most of low end socs by intel in android have a powervr gpu and not a intel gpu

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
          this driver you are talking is the powervr driver, most of low end socs by intel in android have a powervr gpu and not a intel gpu
          Nope. I'm talking exactly about Intel HD graphics driver because strings in blob are exactly the same as in their Windows drivers. What's more important it's can't be PowerVR driver because it's still using i915 kernel driver while PowerVR have own kernel drivers. (at least I think so)

If you know any Android device sold that using Mesa please tell me.
          Last edited by SXX⁣; 06 October 2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
            Nope. I'm talking exactly about Intel HD graphics driver because strings in blob are exactly the same as in their Windows drivers. What's more important it's can't be PowerVR driver because it's still using i915 kernel driver while PowerVR have own kernel drivers. (at least I think so)

If you know any Android device sold that using Mesa please tell me.
            I'd imagine the main reason Intel has been using binary blobs is that:
            • OpenGL ES 1.0 and 1.1 - This API specification is supported by Android 1.0 and higher.
            • OpenGL ES 2.0 - This API specification is supported by Android 2.2 (API level 8) and higher.
            • OpenGL ES 3.0 - This API specification is supported by Android 4.3 (API level 18) and higher.
            • OpenGL ES 3.1 - This API specification is supported by Android 5.0 (API level 21) and higher.

Android 5.x requires OpenGL ES 3.1. It's only now becoming possible to use the mesa stack for Android 5.x. I'd also imagine this work wil benefit many users of e.g. Bay Trail-T. Tizen, Jolla, maybe even Ubuntu Phone and Firefox phone stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              Android 5.x requires OpenGL ES 3.1. It's only now becoming possible to use the mesa stack for Android 5.x. I'd also imagine this work wil benefit many users of e.g. Bay Trail-T. Tizen, Jolla, maybe even Ubuntu Phone and Firefox phone stuff.
              How come 2012 version of Nexus 7 with Tegra 3 can have Android 5.1? Tegra 3 GPU supports only OpenGL ES 2.0 afaik.

Learn how the Jetson Portfolio is bringing the power of modern AI to embedded system and autonomous machines.

Specifications and benchmarks of the NVIDIA GeForce ULP (Tegra 3) graphics card for notebooks.
              Last edited by Tomin; 14 October 2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

How come 2012 version of Nexus 7 with Tegra 3 can have Android 5.1? Tegra 3 GPU supports only OpenGL ES 2.0 afaik.

Learn how the Jetson Portfolio is bringing the power of modern AI to embedded system and autonomous machines.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...3.87135.0.html
                Maybe they emulate it in software? Intel's open drivers don't even have emulated support for ES 3.1 yet. The hardware has supported that for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Maybe they emulate it in software? Intel's open drivers don't even have emulated support for ES 3.1 yet. The hardware has supported that for a while now.
                  That sounds like a bad idea to do on a mobile device.

Are you sure that Android 5.0 requires OpenGL ES 3.1, because I didn't find that information when I tried to look for it? Why it needs it?
                  Android Developer documentation about OpenGL ES doesn't say anything about requiring any version:

It actually says:
                  A device running Android 4.3 or higher may not support the OpenGL ES 3.0 API.
                  Which suggests that a Android device with 5.x doesn't need to support OpenGL ES 3.0 (or 3.1) and it is not required (even with software emulation).

But I'm really not into Android development and I don't know any details. I'm just wondering if this has something to do with the fact that many people complain about Android 5 making their old Nexus 7 devices slow compared to Android 4.3.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post

That sounds like a bad idea to do on a mobile device.

Are you sure that Android 5.0 requires OpenGL ES 3.1, because I didn't find that information when I tried to look for it? Why it needs it?
                    Android Developer documentation about OpenGL ES doesn't say anything about requiring any version:

It actually says:

Which suggests that a Android device with 5.x doesn't need to support OpenGL ES 3.0 (or 3.1) and it is not required (even with software emulation).

But I'm really not into Android development and I don't know any details. I'm just wondering if this has something to do with the fact that many people complain about Android 5 making their old Nexus 7 devices slow compared to Android 4.3.
                    Ah good point. I somehow assumed it's a requirement.

Comment

Working...
                    X