X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyddotnet
    replied
    Hi, interesting article,

but what I still missing is a comparison of the power consumption in idle and under load of the different desktops. Especially the different number of wakeup cycles of GPU / CPU at IDLE when activated C6 / C7 Package State and RC6 takes among the different desktops is here already a significant impact on the current use and thus on the battery life.

In general: a good job! Keep It Up!

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Are you running an Intel GPU? AFAIR Martin specifically hardcoded Intel handling to ignore that switch.
    No, Nvidia 660GTX. Difference is less than 2fps. As far as I remember I have the default install.

Leave a comment:

• blackout23
    replied
    Originally posted by dimko View Post
    Very interesting. Mostly because of Wayland. I wonder if Steam games work with Wayland?

If they use SDL2. It will work natively. If not they will use Xwayland.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Passso View Post

Tested, on KDE there is no difference between composition on and off. On any modern desktop, this trick comes from the past
    Are you running an Intel GPU? AFAIR Martin specifically hardcoded Intel handling to ignore that switch.

Leave a comment:

• Passso
    replied
    Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    I wonder if with composition disabled there would be any difference between all those DE. After all that's the first thing to disable in settings to get more FPS in games.
    Tested, on KDE there is no difference between composition on and off. On any modern desktop, this trick comes from the past

Leave a comment:

• CrystalGamma
    replied
    Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    I wonder if with composition disabled there would be any difference between all those DE. After all that's the first thing to disable in settings to get more FPS in games.
    GNOME on Wayland is always composited, yet it wins most of these tests.

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied
    Very interesting. Mostly because of Wayland. I wonder if Steam games work with Wayland?

Leave a comment:

• konserw
    replied
    Michael next time please include Enlightenment (I used it on Haisenbug, so F22 should also have packages)

Leave a comment:

• edoantonioco
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    REALLY interesting! My takeaway is this: Gnome has come a hell of a long way, Cinnamon is as slow as GNOME used to be (being a fork), and MATE still beats almost everthing on X. Given how well GNOME performed on Wayland I look forward to MATE's upcoming Wayland compatability. I suppose I could install Weston, set up a session with Wayland as the gtk3 backend, and run mate-gtk3 on Wayland now. Weston (or another Wayland compositor) has to catch up to compiz for having at least an "expo" option for this to become my main desktop though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X