• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

That cheered me up.
    I don't see why

Comment

Even Mesa has one month of quality control for release .

Comment

my question is what do those extensions actually bring to the table? Would games run faster or their development be any easier?

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
          my question is what do those extensions actually bring to the table? Would games run faster or their development be any easier?
          Yes and yes, if used correctly.
          For instance : ARB_clip_control, which I very briefly talked about earlier :

from https://www.opengl.org/registry/spec...ip_control.txt
          Developers interested in this functionality may be porting content
          from Direct3D to OpenGL
          This extension (among other things) is meant to facilitate the job of porters, hence speeding up their development.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Which begs the question why AMD can't do the same...
            The answer was already given to you by Phoronix some time ago: AMD driver developers are so overloaded that they can't even handle proper release notes/change logs, now they have to work on the transition to the unified kernel module and have to look how to bring Mantle to Linux. There are simply not enough AMD developers to now also keep up with the OpenGL specifications.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Guess without looking Nvidia, then AMD, then others... is it?

If more contributions are from non GPU maker, then something must be weird in this world .
              No, Nvidia, AMD&VMware, Unity, then all the rest including Intel and Google.
              No need to call they are absent.

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
                * Multiple contexts wont imply flush on context switching (for apps that use one context per thread)
                * DSA will allow for middle ware to work friendlier with main code (state change is more atomic)
                * Less overhead for small state changes (agin DSA)
                * More control over depth quality (so games that do not need those may scale down)

Plenty of goodies.

And its nice addition to "AZDO" overall.

Game devs will benefit, middleware devs will benefit, games will benefit.
                (Apps will need to adopt those features though.)

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
                  No, Nvidia, AMD&VMware, Unity, then all the rest including Intel and Google.
                  No need to call they are absent.
                  My point is - there is no graphic API without at least one GPU maker, of course there are other interested parties involved... but if you start to mentioned them more, and none to be absent then IMHO you need to mention them all .

Comment

Mesa will likely support many of these sooner rather than later. A lot of them are pretty easy to implement.

You might also notice that Brian Paul (the Mesa project founder) is listed as the author on many of the extensions
                    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
                    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                      The answer was already given to you by Phoronix some time ago: AMD driver developers are so overloaded that they can't even handle proper release notes/change logs, now they have to work on the transition to the unified kernel module and have to look how to bring Mantle to Linux. There are simply not enough AMD developers to now also keep up with the OpenGL specifications.
                      From the sounds of it at the last time I had a briefing from them (June), didn't sound like their unified plan was still going through.... Or at least didn't make any worthwhile progress where they wanted/could share an update with me during a conf call.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X