Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
    Wonderful news.

Open Source drivers going towards a bright future.

Please keep implementing more, OpenGL ES 3 is more important to many applications than OpenGL 3.x.

Well, https://dolphin-emu.org/ has a GLES3 port. Although not sure offhand what GL level is required if built for GL. I'm not really aware of *any* GLES native apps for linux. At best, apps that were designed to work equally well on GL and GLES (like glmark2).

At any rate, there is considerable overlap between GL3 and GLES3. I think one or two things needed by GLES3 but not until later GL3.x, versus few things needed for GL3.x but not GLES3.0. Fortunately it's not like I have to implement the same feature for both GL and GLES.

But so far, I tend to priortize GL over GLES simply because I have GL apps to use and test with.

Comment

I like the idea of pushing through GL first, because I think that is really the defining differentiator of the proprietary blob vs freedreno (and all the other open ARM gpu projects). The ability to run full GL class software on adreno hardware is sometimes a killer feature.

That, and by iterating through GL (to the best of the hardwares ability) you naturally hit GLES support just to support the GL stack, albeit the good ones (GLES2+) those are in GL 4.1 and 4.3.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
        Well, https://dolphin-emu.org/ has a GLES3 port. Although not sure offhand what GL level is required if built for GL. I'm not really aware of *any* GLES native apps for linux. At best, apps that were designed to work equally well on GL and GLES (like glmark2).

At any rate, there is considerable overlap between GL3 and GLES3. I think one or two things needed by GLES3 but not until later GL3.x, versus few things needed for GL3.x but not GLES3.0. Fortunately it's not like I have to implement the same feature for both GL and GLES.

But so far, I tend to priortize GL over GLES simply because I have GL apps to use and test with.
        It requires at least OpenGL 3.1 + GL_ARB_sampler_objects.

Comment

Working...
        X