VIA Secretly Has A Working Gallium3D Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
    That is Debian multiarch, not just *buntu.

And it still is quite possible to change the paths in the script, so it would be more appropriate to test with
    Code:
    find -name '*.so*' |xargs strings | grep /lib.*86.*-linux-gnu
    ...which could still be fixed with chrpath or the like, FWIW.
    Sonadow is pro-microsoft noob. He posts a bash script with path moved above as variables and calls it "hardcoded binary".

Anyway, VIA is crap. If something can be worse than old nvidia or new amd mashed together - its VIA. I have Via-based IGP for old socket 7 that I planned to use as HTPC, the Openchrome is so bad, that display resolution was only 1024x768 and only 2D - read "VESA".

Posting binary-only drivers to already crap-experience won? t improve anything!

Comment

the HP laptop is actually pretty good, 10 years and still working well

if it weren-t for the radeon card I'd still use it, as it stand you can only use it in XP

it's a second gen radeon mobile, igp 345m But I believe the same goes for igp 340 and 350

Comment

btw tero how hard was it to compile the driver for 12.10?
        Quite easy actually
        Code:
        Install of Via Grafikk

Install Lubuntu12.10

install linux headers
        make system ready for compile https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingCompilers
        $ sudo apt-get update
        $ sudo apt-get upgrade
        $ sudo apt-get install build-essential
        $ gcc -v
        $ make -v

download driver from http://linux.via.com.tw/support/downloadFiles.action
        extract it
        cd into the mesa 7.1 folder
        run sudo sh vinstall
        I think that was all that was required if i remember correctly

However im not sure if the unified drivers supports the the chipset for amd and intel processors.
        Seems to be a bit unclear as my xorg.0.log says it does
        But on the readme in unified driver they only state the cx700-900 chipsets.
        So you might be out of luck there:/

But even if the Via propietary dosent work you still have the Openchrome driver which gets shipped by default with most distro.
        They should work by deafault in Ubuntu after install, and if they dont and you got cpu accel instead you can try the unified driver and see if that works.

Good luck
        Last edited by teroedni; 12 April 2013, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          Sonadow is pro-microsoft noob. He posts a bash script with path moved above as variables and calls it "hardcoded binary".

Anyway, VIA is crap. If something can be worse than old nvidia or new amd mashed together - its VIA. I have Via-based IGP for old socket 7 that I planned to use as HTPC, the Openchrome is so bad, that display resolution was only 1024x768 and only 2D - read "VESA".

Posting binary-only drivers to already crap-experience won? t improve anything!
          Maybe you should download that binary driver and actually scroll through the whole script like I have done before bullshiting in here instead of just looking at my screenshot which is so totally just a fraction of what it actually contains.

But i guess someone like you who lives in mommy's basement and only knows how to post smack without actually having compiled any single software before is completely incapable of actually opening up some files in a tarball or even lacking the basic english comprehension skills to finish reading through a complete bash script, much less understand the error messages that come up during compilation. In fact, you are probably too incompetent to even run ./configure and comprehend any error messages that get thrown up in the process, much less proceed to solve them. This sounds a lot like the ramblings of a poser who uses Linux just to show off his 'supposed' superiority over Windows users without even understanding what goes on in the background of his supposedly 'superior' operating system where there are aspects of Windows that are clearly superior to Linux.

In fact let's not even go there. Since you think you are so capable, go ahead and install this binary driver on a Fedora or SuSE box and post the results here for everybody to see so that others can test it out for themselves. Or even better, compile the source code available from VIA's site and publish the binary for others to test. and don't give anyone of us there that pathetic 'i got better things to do with my time' excuse. Put your money where your mouth is.

Oh wait, you have money? I don't think so. Unemployment money from the government can only get one so far, can it...
          Last edited by Sonadow; 12 April 2013, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            Maybe you should download that binary driver and actually scroll through the whole script like I have done before bullshiting in here instead of just looking at my screenshot which is so totally just a fraction of what it actually contains.

But i guess someone like you who lives in mommy's basement and only knows how to post smack without actually having compiled any single software before is completely incapable of actually opening up some files in a tarball or even lacking the basic english comprehension skills to finish reading through a complete bash script, much less understand the error messages that come up during compilation. In fact, you are probably too incompetent to even run ./configure and comprehend any error messages that get thrown up in the process, much less proceed to solve them. This sounds a lot like the ramblings of a poser who uses Linux just to show off his 'supposed' superiority over Windows users without even understanding what goes on in the background of his supposedly 'superior' operating system where there are aspects of Windows that are clearly superior to Linux.

In fact let's not even go there. Since you think you are so capable, go ahead and install this binary driver on a Fedora or SuSE box and post the results here for everybody to see so that others can test it out for themselves. Or even better, compile the source code available from VIA's site and publish the binary for others to test. and don't give anyone of us there that pathetic 'i got better things to do with my time' excuse. Put your money where your mouth is.

Oh wait, you have money? I don't think so. Unemployment money from the government can only get one so far, can it...
            LOL! Why should I prove anything to you, when you have proven many times to be microsoft troll? You are going to pay me for that? Ahaha!
            And times when installing Linux was hard ended with HAL : ), so I won?t be presenting any capability if I managed to install Linux. Same applies to you and your Ubuntu.
            If I want to .configure stuff, I fire LFS in VM. I prefer package managent thank you!

Maybe you have compiled your windows, from what you are trolling right now [proof] but I don?t care about windows its crappy aspects or its crappy management or its trolls,as easy as that, thank you!

So, follow my advice and go work for microsucks already, or be smart and learn on mistakes from others by asking Robbins (or other "celebrity" icasa). And stop trolling around and posting BS, you make yourself look more idiotic!

The VIA motherboard with IGP (Asrock? KM400? I think) that worked like crap is still lying around in my cellar waiting to be sold or recycled. I will never assemble any shitty binary driver for christs sake, let alone help anybody with it! Especially from VIA. Especially for this old system that deserves some respect its nearly RIP due to age! I have Intel and AMD(cpu-only) systems everywhere and I am happy with them!

VIA could have improved the image EASILY by providing Gallium-based opensource DDX and DRM by taking parts of already present Openchrome driver.
            But no, they produce half-arsed blob - a luxus that only Nvidia can afford due to loooong support of platform since ages! And still, Linus calls them .i.
            So imagine what opinion Linus has on you, VIA actions and your offer xD

Like I mentioned many times, I support and pay only for opensource freedom software projects! So go die in jealousy xD

.... btw!
            Has anyone noticed that this project was developed by 1-2 persons, as in "zero Q/A"?!
            Last edited by brosis; 13 April 2013, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
              *snip*
              Yadda yadda yadda...all talk and no action. I'd stake $10 that you don't even know how to use the command line at all, because all you have done is to post screenshots about a spiffy-looking GUI that nobody cares.

I can state with perfect certainty that every piece of third-part software on my computer is self-compiled. Xchat, hexchat, Firefox v20, Chromium (with its non-standard gyp tools) and even FileZilla are self-compiled. But all you can boast about its to simply click on some checkboxes in Synaptic or in the USC which any 2 yr old kid can do without difficulty, therefore I conclude your intelligence is firmly grounded in the level of a two yr old.

Using open source software without even knowing how to compile them on an open source operating system and having to resort to paying others to do what you want when the code is open for all. What a perfect joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Yadda yadda yadda...all talk and no action. I'd stake $10 that you don't even know how to use the command line at all, because all you have done is to post screenshots about a spiffy-looking GUI that nobody cares.

I can state with perfect certainty that every piece of third-part software on my computer is self-compiled. Xchat, hexchat, Firefox v20, Chromium (with its non-standard gyp tools) and even FileZilla are self-compiled. But all you can boast about its to simply click on some checkboxes in Synaptic or in the USC which any 2 yr old kid can do without difficulty, therefore I conclude your intelligence is firmly grounded in the level of a two yr old.

Using open source software without even knowing how to compile them on an open source operating system and having to resort to paying others to do what you want when the code is open for all. What a perfect joke.
                Wow! Three things!

1) THAT Screenie wasn?t for you and I am not going to prove you anything. Yes, really! Sorry no interest!
                2) The wisdom of person is not judged by his knowledge. Or are you going to say Dalai Lama is idiot because he cant .configure (yet xD)
                3) Perhaps, instead of garbage-waste employment by MS, you should show more wisdom and visit Dalai Lama instead? xD

I am not compiling IRC chats xD, I like the comfort of GUI and descend into CLI only to write script, wrap it around .desktop; or when typing "scrot" is faster than installing dedicated screenshooter on Debian Netinst XFCE on this machine xD

Comment

Working...
                X