Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Needs To Improve OpenGL Drivers For Gaming

Phoronix: Ubuntu Needs To Improve OpenGL Drivers For Gaming

Discussions were held this morning in Copenhagen at the Ubuntu Developer Summit about improving audio and graphics support for Ubuntu Linux in order to propel the distribution as a first-rate gaming platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu FOSS support
    prompting users to install the binary graphics drivers when needed for a game instead of using the slower, less-featureful, and buggy open-source graphics drivers.

Comment

Since when has Ubuntu OpenGL devs? Sure they package mesa with newer snapshots than Debian but thats all.

Comment

I am sure Ubuntu will be a great gaming platform with developers having to target OpenGL 2.

While the standard is up to OpenGL 4.3 and the competition is using DirectX 11.1.

It cant even compete with the stuff from a decade ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Since when has Ubuntu OpenGL devs? Sure they package mesa with newer snapshots than Debian but thats all.
          it's just what needs to be done ;-)

Comment

25 ms latency for PA vs 5 ms for pure Alsa....i knew that i was right and made the right choice

Comment

Ubuntu Software Center directly when needed for prompting users to install the binary graphics drivers
              No-no-no! Ubuntu should force AMD and Nvidia to develop their OOS drivers (to hire much more devs, to open documentation on power management, etc.)

Comment

instead of using the slower, less-featureful, and buggy open-source graphics drivers.
                Buggy open-source drivers? Have these guys ever seen Catalyst? r600g is so much more stable and reliable than that fglrx crap!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I am sure Ubuntu will be a great gaming platform with developers having to target OpenGL 2.

While the standard is up to OpenGL 4.3 and the competition is using DirectX 11.1.

It cant even compete with the stuff from a decade ago.
                  Most PC games out there are crappy console ports that target DirectX 9.
                  Maybe things will change with next-gen consoles, but we're talking 2014.

Also, graphical quality has little to do with the graphical backend you use and more to do with how good you are at using it.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                    25 ms latencyd for PA vs 5 ms for pure Alsa....i knew that i was right and made the right choice
                    Congratulations, using alsa instead of pulseaudio is equivalent of reducing your distance to the speakers by 6,806 meters. I imagine it is very hard for you to go to concerts because the sound doesn't sync up with the musicians's movements you see.

Comment

Working...
                    X