Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Developers Realize Need For Non-3D Desktop

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developers Realize Need For Non-3D Desktop

For Ubuntu 12.10 Canonical decided to abandon the Unity 2D desktop and just only support the standard Unity desktop with Compiz. When there isn't a proper OpenGL/3D driver available, LLVMpipe is used for running the GL commands on the CPU. This move caused lots of upset Ubuntu Linux users and the developers are now looking at what to do for a desktop that doesn't require 3D support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Twas about time Ubuntu embraced a real desktop.

Good one!

Comment

So they had a perfectly fine 2D version of Unity... got rid of it...

Now they need one again.

Comment

4th uninteresting piece of news of the day related to Ubuntu. Enough already.

Comment

Retarted

LXDE is a whole desktop environment.
          So they're going to use a whole different desktop environment as a fallback?
          Wow, that is just retarded!

They should just use the GNOME Fallback session instead.

Comment

They got rid of Unity2D because the Qt stuff they were using was getting depreciated in the future, afaik.

Comment

Well they could just rename Kubuntu or Lubuntu to Ubuntu and call Ubuntu with Unity then Unibuntu

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well they could just rename Kubuntu or Lubuntu to Ubuntu and call Ubuntu with Unity then Unibuntu
                Or they could argue themselves into obscurity and let someone else like Mint provide an easy-to-use snapshot of Debian Sid.

Comment

they didn't get this right. what should be been written is:

"Ubuntu Developers Realize No Need for 3D on Desktop"

And also, I'm using MATE (ie GNOME2). Works better and faster than GNOME3 or Unity. Not sure if their strategy made sense. "Quick MUST make new things or it looks like we're stagnating!" "DOESNT MATTER IF ITS CRAP!!"

I guess that's the Silicon valley's own achilles heel

Comment

My *phone* (HTC Incredible) has 3d acceleration. My phone before *that* (Motorola Droid) has 3d acceleration. My next phone is likely to be the Nexus 4. It has 3d acceleration. If you're looking to run Ubuntu on something less powerful than a 3-years old cell phone, maybe you should look at a command line interface.

Comment

Working...
                    X