Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenGL 4.3, OpenGL ES 3.0 Specifications Unveiled

Phoronix: OpenGL 4.3, OpenGL ES 3.0 Specifications Unveiled

Just as I reported last week would happen at SIGGRAPH and in late May first talked about OpenGL ES 3.0, today at the first day of SIGGRAPH LA 2012 the Khronos Group announced the release of the OpenGL 4.3 and OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics API specifications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Just as I reported last week would happen at SIGGRAPH
    Speculative reporting isn't really reporting. When you're taking a guess, even an educated guess, it's speculation not reporting. Please don't try to pass it off as anything else; it tends to discredit when you actually report on other stories. Basically it shows you not knowing the difference between a report and speculation. BTW, you're free to speculate on things as much as you like, but you really need to work on not passing it off as reporting and call it what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by losinggeneration View Post
      Speculative reporting isn't really reporting. When you're taking a guess, even an educated guess, it's speculation not reporting. Please don't try to pass it off as anything else; it tends to discredit when you actually report on other stories. Basically it shows you not knowing the difference between a report and speculation. BTW, you're free to speculate on things as much as you like, but you really need to work on not passing it off as reporting and call it what it is.
      Maybe he had inside sources?

Comment

Originally posted by Fazer View Post
        Maybe he had inside sources?
        Possibly, but based on a quote from the other story
        On Wednesday, 8 August, there will be a Khronos news conference to "Join us for great news about Khronos APIs!" This will most likely be where OpenGL 4.3 and OpenGL ES 3.0 will be introduced.
        I'd say most likely not since he does not mention any inside sources for this conjecture.

Comment

Oh come on guys. If we are really strict you might be right but who cares? Let's not kill this thread right from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Oh come on guys. If we are really strict you might be right but who cares? Let's not kill this thread right from the start.
            Someone who wants to be a credible source should care, but I digress, as for the topic at hand, I think it's great that OpenGL 4.3 is out as well as the long awaited OpenGL ES 3.0.

Comment

And I still don't, after all these years, quite get it how there can be an "OpenGL" specification without a free implementation of it? I know it's always been this way, but I've never quite understood..

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                And I still don't, after all these years, quite get it how there can be an "OpenGL" specification without a free implementation of it? I know it's always been this way, but I've never quite understood..
                Because the "Open" doesn't refer to free software - it means it is open to any company willing to invest enough to join, rather than being strictly controlled by a single company like Direct3D is. (though of course even D3D brings in the manufacturers)

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Because the "Open" doesn't refer to free software - it means it is open to any company willing to invest enough to join, rather than being strictly controlled by a single company like Direct3D is. (though of course even D3D brings in the manufacturers)
                  Yes, but it would make sense for an "open" standard to have a reference implementation which you could use as a gold standard for correctness.

This is not always the case, but I find it strange.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    Yes, but it would make sense for an "open" standard to have a reference implementation which you could use as a gold standard for correctness.

This is not always the case, but I find it strange.
                    That's what I had in mind. The current situation is, "you can use OpenGL, but only with proprietary drivers".

Comment

Working...
                    X