No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 11.10 To Replace GDM With LightDM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like that it is modular. You can trim it down or make it porky. They should have called it Modular Display Manager though... LightDM may be misleading.

Comment

Queue the announcement of DarkDM, the display manager for UbuntuSE...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        Sorry but I really fail to see the reason behind this change, unless Canonical has decided for an all-out war against Gnome, which sounds retarded, to say the least...
        It is gnome 'who' started war. I'm really happy Canonical replaces crap with something useful - evolution - thunderbird, gnome shell - Unity and hopefully X - Wayland.

Comment

Well, that's personal preference...

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          It is gnome 'who' started war. I'm really happy Canonical replaces crap with something useful - evolution - thunderbird, gnome shell - Unity and hopefully X - Wayland.
          Well, that's funny. I find gnome shell more useful than utter crap called Unity--not perfect, yes, but still more bearable than unity thing. It may come down to personal preference, you know.

Also, as for evolution vs thunderbird argument...if you don't need all the features of evolution and just need simple e-mail client, then yes, thunderbird might be better choice; but bear in mind there are some people out there who need that extra features evolution provides...it's like saying swiss army knife is crap because you just need a simple paper-knife.

BTW, let's not forget it was Canonical which forced pre-mature stuff down through our throat several times...e.g. that blasted lense thing in 11.04, pulseaudio (recall the day they made the decision to ship with pulseaudio by default? ) and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by NyteRider View Post
            Well, that's funny. I find gnome shell more useful than utter crap called Unity--not perfect, yes, but still more bearable than unity thing. It may come down to personal preference, you know.

Also, as for evolution vs thunderbird argument...if you don't need all the features of evolution and just need simple e-mail client, then yes, thunderbird might be better choice; but bear in mind there are some people out there who need that extra features evolution provides...it's like saying swiss army knife is crap because you just need a simple paper-knife.
            Every piece of this you'll find in Fedora. Ubuntu is not aiming at Gnome users anymore and this is good.

Comment

Dude are on you some kind of Jihad against GNOME or something?

Ubuntu 11.10 will ship with GNOME 3, whether you like it or not. I know you are a hardcore Qt fanboy but lets get real here, all major apps on Linux have a dependency on GTK+, a Linux desktop without Qt is perfectly possible, one without GTK+ is just unthinkable.

Comment

Unthinkable? It's pretty easy to avoid GTK apps as much as you avoid QT apps; plenty of redundant software using either. Besides, no one needs gnome to have a gtk DE, XFCE fits the bill without the nonsense and the bloat, also LXDE for even lighter needs.

I welcome this move, and would like to try this on Debian as well, since i switched to XFCE anyway would like to get rid of gnome dependencies. Slim is pretty much XDM with another theme

Comment

Well if you want to put up with severely reduced functionality then I suppose you can opt for KOffice instead of LibreOffice, Krita instead of GIMP, Konqueror instead of Firefox or Chromium, KDevelop instead of Eclipse, and I'm not even sure there's a 'GTK+ free alternative' for Adobe Flash.

But who would want that? That's just torture, I don't think even kraftman is willing to submit to that .

Comment

I think one of the big features (that was presented rather plainly--as clear as you could get without spelling it out--in the article) is that it doesn't depend explicitly on any particular "desktop toolkit" (e.g. gtk, qt...). That, in addition to being able to take advantage of those toolkits if they are available, or being able to use themes written in HTML/CSS, makes it usable for any desktop environment except for maybe the lightest.

I don't imagine adding finger-print reader support would be overly difficult; create an interface in C and expose it in the HTML/CSS and you're done. Other interface/user interaction features should be just as easy to implement. I don't know about multi-seat, though; it sounds simple, but....

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                      Well if you want to put up with severely reduced functionality then I suppose you can opt for KOffice instead of LibreOffice, Krita instead of GIMP, Konqueror instead of Firefox or Chromium, KDevelop instead of Eclipse, and I'm not even sure there's a 'GTK+ free alternative' for Adobe Flash.

Comment

Working...
                      X