A Bounty For Gallium3D On Haiku OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    actually i'd have to agree with just about everything you said and you made a lot of interesting points. i would like to hear more about your opinions as to why haiku has more of a chance for adoption, because to me everything that haiku has, linux has the same thing and better. i started using linux in 2007, so i'm not really aware of when its prime moments were but a lot of people are saying 2011 is linux's year to shine, and i'd have to agree with it. as i see it, the only thing holding back linux from popularity are:
    * its relatively not user friendly (i personally think it's easy but its way too hard for the average person)
    * it doesn't have enough commercial software support
    * and IMO, its a little too diverse which can be discouraging to some and makes support (professional or not) very difficult.
    since about 2008, linux got significantly easier, just in time for vista to screw up MS's name, and thats when it started to become more popular. unfortunately, windows 7 ended up being very successful so that took away a lot of the linux audience, but that just gives linux more time to be more polished for the picky people that left it in the first place.

i believe linux at some day will become a major contending desktop OS with a lot of commercial support, and i wouldn't be surprised if the MS empire falls during my lifetime (i'm currently 21). i don't believe google would have picked beos if linux didn't exist, i think they'd have chosen free bsd instead - its more polished.

i think competition is good, but open source does not need more of it, and thats exactly why i made my original post questioning the purpose of beos getting 3d support. linux, free bsd, aix, and solaris are already too much open source OSes. most of them have similar goals, but these goals get distracted and divided amongst the other OSes or other desktop environments, so nothing ever gets done. i feel like if linux and/or free bsd were the only open source OSes, they'd be considerably better than they are today.

if your hardware is supported. I would urge you to take it for a test drive. some things are still sort or work aroundy to get setup do to a good install scheme " which is being adressed as we speak". you just have to see it for yourself. It better for the OS to make its case to the end user then for me to try to sell it to you. If you have a spare partition on your drive, give it a spin.

I think most of the selling points of Haiku are the user experience is really very good. It very responsive and attentive to my needs, offers great media playback " on supported hardware" out of the box.

Most things just work. they also work well.

If you interested in trying it hit my pm box and I can walk you through a setup and install some apps.

try using it for a good 2-3 hours straight for web browsing etc and then boot into your other OS.

Then we can debate how to get that user experience out to more people.

It must be seen and experienced to be belleived !.

Comment

Originally posted by Thatguy View Post
      if your hardware is supported. I would urge you to take it for a test drive. some things are still sort or work aroundy to get setup do to a good install scheme " which is being adressed as we speak". you just have to see it for yourself. It better for the OS to make its case to the end user then for me to try to sell it to you. If you have a spare partition on your drive, give it a spin.

I think most of the selling points of Haiku are the user experience is really very good. It very responsive and attentive to my needs, offers great media playback " on supported hardware" out of the box.

Most things just work. they also work well.

If you interested in trying it hit my pm box and I can walk you through a setup and install some apps.

try using it for a good 2-3 hours straight for web browsing etc and then boot into your other OS.

Then we can debate how to get that user experience out to more people.

It must be seen and experienced to be belleived !.
      i have tried it a few months ago, and it was pretty snappy but to me any OS can be snappy if you optimize it correctly. i thought i remembered some things not working and a lot of important tools missing. i'm sure for lightweight computers its a good choice. i've been trying to install it on this other computer i use but grub won't recognize it, so i'll get to virtualizing it instead.

Comment

[...] a lot of people are saying 2011 is linux's year to shine, and i'd have to agree with it.
        Hate to break it to you but it's been "The year of the linux desktop" for the better part of a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by fat_chris View Post
          Hate to break it to you but it's been "The year of the linux desktop" for the better part of a decade.
          lol i've never known that, and in most situations those years had no reason to claim that. this year linux is being used in a LOT of desktop and mobile products and there are several more software and hardware companies supporting it compared to a year or 2 ago. i don't think linux will be the os of choice this year, or next year, or the year after that. but, i believe that 2011 is the BEGINNING of linux becoming a major desktop and mobile os, but not recognized as a significant recognized contender.

Comment

i have tried it a few months ago, and it was pretty snappy but to me any OS can be snappy if you optimize it correctly. i thought i remembered some things not working and a lot of important tools missing. i'm sure for lightweight computers its a good choice. i've been trying to install it on this other computer i use but grub won't recognize it, so i'll get to virtualizing it instead.
            its hardly optimized currently. Hell its still running a big heavy load of debugger code currently. It is snappy by design. Alot of fix's have been implemented recently, now sdl games and alot of opengl games work" but do to a lack of hardware support they run pretty slow" so thats why the need for gallium.

the networking stuff is getting pretty close to completion, the list goes on. several people use grub with haiku with no problem. you can always boot off a cd and bypass grub but thats a pain.

How many OS's do you have ? I find the haiku bootmanager very simple and easy to use personally.

Comment

its hardly optimized currently. Hell its still running a big heavy load of debugger code currently. It is snappy by design. Alot of fix's have been implemented recently, now sdl games and alot of opengl games work" but do to a lack of hardware support they run pretty slow" so thats why the need for gallium.

the networking stuff is getting pretty close to completion, the list goes on. several people use grub with haiku with no problem. you can always boot off a cd and bypass grub but thats a pain.

How many OS's do you have ? I find the haiku bootmanager very simple and easy to use personally.
              i typically only stick with 1 os per computer. i actually own about 12 or so, i like to collect them.

Comment

lol i've never known that, and in most situations those years had no reason to claim that. this year linux is being used in a LOT of desktop and mobile products and there are several more software and hardware companies supporting it compared to a year or 2 ago. i don't think linux will be the os of choice this year, or next year, or the year after that. but, i believe that 2011 is the BEGINNING of linux becoming a major desktop and mobile os, but not recognized as a significant recognized contender.
                I disagree I think MAC is the biggest player this year on the desktop. Microsoft is compartmentalizing linux rather sucessfully and with the way MS pushs the linux community it does a good job of keeping it very fragmeneted while everyone trys to outdo windows in one fashion or another.

Ubuntu is maybe the only distro with a chance of competing with MS and its not doing a very good job.

Also alot of the mobile versions of linux are so customized that they don't have a linux look or feel. They also don't share the linux labeling either. Linux needs to completely reinvent itself if it want real prescence in the software ecosystem. It needs to start from the bottom up. It needs to unify, become cohesive and ditch the terminal " which is a crutch for poorly though out solutions"

Only then will linux have a chance to suceed.

What linux needs is a benevolent dictator to pick up the reigns and focus the group. sure they will shed some of the shoddy anti social developers but the resource concentration and focus would go a long way to fixing the problem.

Comment

i typically only stick with 1 os per computer. i actually own about 12 or so, i like to collect them.
                  pick a unused machine and fire it up. hit my pm box I will walk you through getting some stuff up and running. It doesn't need a grub bootloader either. It has its own bootloader. If its the only installed on teh system though you won't need any boot manager at all.

Comment

I disagree I think MAC is the biggest player this year on the desktop. Microsoft is compartmentalizing linux rather sucessfully and with the way MS pushs the linux community it does a good job of keeping it very fragmeneted while everyone trys to outdo windows in one fashion or another.

Ubuntu is maybe the only distro with a chance of competing with MS and its not doing a very good job.

Also alot of the mobile versions of linux are so customized that they don't have a linux look or feel. They also don't share the linux labeling either. Linux needs to completely reinvent itself if it want real prescence in the software ecosystem. It needs to start from the bottom up. It needs to unify, become cohesive and ditch the terminal " which is a crutch for poorly though out solutions"

Only then will linux have a chance to suceed.

What linux needs is a benevolent dictator to pick up the reigns and focus the group. sure they will shed some of the shoddy anti social developers but the resource concentration and focus would go a long way to fixing the problem.
                    lol so THATS where you're getting the idea that beos would be more successful if it had the chance. but if what you said were true then linux would have failed years ago. also, what i'm saying is 2011 is the year linux will begin to see some major progress and adoption. i'm not saying its THE year OF linux, because it unquestionably isn't.

success is a relative perspective. to me, linux is competing very nicely against windows. like i said before, one of the reasons linux's success is hindered is because of its varieties. from what i gather, you see something as being good if its functionality, performance, appearance, and compatibility are consistent. beos kind of has its own... everything, making it function, perform, look, and operate consistently. other than solaris, its basically the only open-source OS that is actually consistent.
                    so is this what you're getting at?

if so, i wouldn't necessarily consider this a problem, but, i can completely understand why you think linux will never become a major competing desktop or mobile os. linux does need some cleaning up to do but it definitely has plenty of potential to compete with windows. i'm not really sure what you meant by the linux "look and feel" because there isn't one. part of what makes linux so unique (in a good and bad way) is it does whatever you want, however you want it to.

as i see it, linux just needs lxde/openbox, gnome, and kde 4 for graphical environments and just 1 distro for each package manager, and each distro will have all 3 major desktop environments. like i said before, too much competition and variety prevents things from getting done. just make everyone work together on 1 big project and there can be a lot of success.

instead of having all these varieties of different distros, what could be done instead is have meta packages that users can install and automatically gives you the packages that would be desired. so for example, debian could be the core distro for the apt-get package manager and to install ubuntu, you would just install regular debian and then in the installer you would check on "ubuntu".

thats how linux could really get cleaned up, and easier for everyone.

Comment

That's exactly the only thing Linux does not need and will never ever have. And that's why Linux is simply Linux. Love it or hate it, no one cares. That's Linux, and I love it.

Comment

Working...
                      X