For Those Interested In Direct3D Over Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    I get a feeling there is no point trying to put sense to people's heads. Sentimental people judge based on feelings, not logic... Those hating Microsoft will never be able to be reasoned with...
    I mostly agree with that. I can hate some of the underhanded things Microsoft have done but still evaluate their products from a neutral place. There's a lot that can't though.

Even if you had the absolute best OS, but it could run no software, it would still be a failure. An OS is as usefull as the application software you can run on it.
    Pretty much. Bottom line, you must be able to accomplish your task with the software at hand. If it wont do what you need then it's pointless to have it in that situation.

And Linux is not technologically superior in every way. There are sectors it excels and sectors it is lacking. Not to mention some features it took years to get, for example Kernel Mode Setting...
    Yep.

Windows95 did have problems but so Linux TODAY. Some of you are making the false assumption that Linux ecosystem today is without faults and problems...
    Again, I agree with this but would add that even Windows 7 is far from perfect. I still support Windows users and find that Windows 7 has its strengths, but also its weaknesses. It is at the very least dependable enough in a lot of places though. I think there's a place for better products. Will that be Linux in the future? One can only wonder.

In the end, there is not some kind of conspiracy keeping Linux at 1% range. Especially since Linux is free. People can just run their software with Windows and it is ok with them. So that means Windows are doing their job well...
    The Linux desktop does have its advantages over Windows, and Windows has some over Linux. A users particular situation will indicate which is better. Linux is becoming more appropriate for garden variety users in more situations though and I think this is a good thing.

And back on topic, Direct3D if implemented well could bring AAA gaming to Linux, and this is exactly what it lacks at the moment. I do not care what some snobs think, games are a vital factor, and most people who get in touch with Linux do not abandon Windows because of games...
    No doubt AAA titles would make the platform more attractive to more people. If they ever become easily available it'll be interesting to see exactly how that influences user numbers.

Even without them though I think Linux can be useful to a lot of people not because of ideology, but from an ease of use and utilitarian point of view. Ease of use hasn't exactly been Linux's strength in the past but thanks to more efforts being spent in that area things are a changin'

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR
      Not to mention some features it took years to get, for example Kernel Mode Setting...
      Right, does Windows have that yet? Last I checked even 7 did not boot in the best res.

Comment

I get a feeling there is no point trying to put sense to people's heads.
        I get a feeling people do not like to be put in place by morons like you. Some people, you know, like to think for themselves. OK?

Those hating Microsoft will never be able to be reasoned with...
        Looooooooooooooool. Have a nice day.

Even if you had the absolute best OS, but it could run no software, it would still be a failure. An OS is as usefull as the application software you can run on it.
        Linux can't run software? Go back to back to school...

And Linux is not technologically superior in every way.
        Lol, kiddo, Linux can run an amount of CPU's and RAM that's not even possible to put in a cluster! Linux can do al sorts of awesome things no other OS can do. BTW have you ever heared of a headless Windows Beowulf cluster, or any other technological superior tech?

In the end, there is not some kind of conspiracy keeping Linux at 1% range.
        *COUGH* six percent desktop, 45% mobile phones, dominant on servers and in all you other electrinics*COUGH*

[quote]So that means Windows are doing their job well...[/quote[
        Hey did anyone try the Microsoft OS? It's made by Windows!

And back on topic, Direct3D if implemented well could bring AAA gaming to Linux, and this is exactly what it lacks at the moment.
        Yeah, right

I do not care what some snobs think
        You do; you post here. If you do not then please leave.

, games are a vital factor, and most people who get in touch with Linux do not abandon Windows because of games...
        11@11

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Right, does Windows have that yet? Last I checked even 7 did not boot in the best res.
          In Windows, it seems that since Windows NT it has kernel mode setting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode-se...rosoft_Windows

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            *COUGH* six percent desktop, 45% mobile phones, dominant on servers and in all you other electrinics*COUGH*
            Where did you get those numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
              Where did you get those numbers?
              Dell sales 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Dell sales 2009.
                Dell sells mobile phones? That's news to me.

However, I firmly believe that TemplarGR is making a good point here. My personal experience is that children love Linux both as a platform (natural curiosity + software repositories = powerful combination) and as an ideology (this is made by people like you and I. You can change it in any way you like if you take the time to learn how).

However it all falls down when they find out that games like Starcraft don't run here. Some try wine with less than stellar results, especially on intel-powered netbooks. The final result: back to Windows, where they can play the games they want to.

Do not underestimate this. I've guided a lot of people through the steps of setting up and using Linux but I've seen this outcome more times than I care to admit. It is sad and it is disheartening: the children and gamers of today are users and developers of tomorrow. Cut this demographic off and the fight is lost before it's even began.

Consider this. Microsoft dominates gaming and has wide market recognition; Apple has the various iShinyGadgets that are adored by teenagers; we have freeriders and penguins. And Android (which is not nearly enough).

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                  Not only 3.x. In 2002 Microsoft bought all 3D-related patents from SGI ? the company that invented OpenGL. I wouldn't be surprised if OpenGL and Direct3D were largely covered by the same patents.

I'm also not aware that Microsoft or any other company that owns patents related to OpenGL ever threatened Mesa for patent violations, even though Mesa (AFAIK) never formally licensed those patents.

So supporting Direct3D or OpenGL probably makes no difference from a legal POV.
                  There's a gotcha right there.

If MS notices that FOSS has been creating large scale projects utilizing D3D or even improving the D3D stack in some way then they could very well take some sort of action to squash it and take all the hard work the Foss devs put into that D3D based stack away.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                    There's a gotcha right there.

If MS notices that FOSS has been creating large scale projects utilizing D3D or even improving the D3D stack in some way then they could very well take some sort of action to squash it and take all the hard work the Foss devs put into that D3D based stack away.
                    I doubt it. Not because they're trustworthy, but because they make a lot more money from having an unofficial D3D implementation working imperfectly on GNU/Linux than they would from squashing it.

Comment

Microsoft patented the d3dx code..if it was re-implemented clean-roomedly then there's nothing they can do.

Besides, microsoft won't sue Linux companies (and moreover users) because it would bring free publicity for the Linux companies and actually backfire, and they know it, or they would have already sued for errno.h (+1 if you get the jab).

Comment

Working...
                      X