Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Details On The OpenGL Situation In KDE's KWin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    Or you can just use Compiz + KDE. I used to do that for a number of years. Worked like a charm.

    KWin is only a small part of KDE after all.
    Used to do that myself. I've been mainly running Gnome for 5 months now though.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Meh, you can write perfectly working first attempts at bug reports while infuriated. Just have to get back at it after a day or two when you're calmed down to get the specifics right.
      Worx for me too

      Comment


      • Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        No, dbus causes Dolphin to crash on some configurations. Maybe some other apps are affected too.
        Okay what about freeze and hangs with konqueror and other kde apps? Occasionally when I e.g. type in an address into konquerors address-bar, it sometimes hangs for about 6 sec, before it works normally again.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Or you can just use Compiz + KDE. I used to do that for a number of years. Worked like a charm.

          KWin is only a small part of KDE after all.
          I might do that. Sounds like the best solution at this moment.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by tball View Post
            Okay what about freeze and hangs with konqueror and other kde apps? Occasionally when I e.g. type in an address into konquerors address-bar, it sometimes hangs for about 6 sec, before it works normally again.
            I have this when mounting /home via NFS and the network is flaky.

            Could it be that it is having problems writing .temp files? It sounds like it's hitting some kind of timeout in any case. Could theoretically be caused by waiting for dbus, but I really have no clue.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              I have this when mounting /home via NFS and the network is flaky.

              Could it be that it is having problems writing .temp files? It sounds like it's hitting some kind of timeout in any case. Could theoretically be caused by waiting for dbus, but I really have no clue.
              I have no idea, but when I first heard about a dbus bug I thought that was the reason

              Comment


              • Originally posted by tball View Post
                I might do that. Sounds like the best solution at this moment.
                I used to run compiz instead of KWin by installing Compiz (obviously ) then adding a file called compiz.sh into .kde/env with the following contents.

                Code:
                #!/bin/bash
                
                # Use compiz as the windows manager.
                export KDEWM=/usr/bin/compiz.real
                It'll also need to be executable.

                Comment


                • If the ".conf" wasn't obvious enough; take a look at Firefox' User Agent switcher plugin... What I means was have Mesa expose a config file in which an enduser can let Mesa say what it can do. So for example if Mesa exposes functionality I'm not happy with (say like with Kwin), I can comment out the extention so that Kwin would behave OK.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    If the ".conf" wasn't obvious enough; take a look at Firefox' User Agent switcher plugin... What I means was have Mesa expose a config file in which an enduser can let Mesa say what it can do. So for example if Mesa exposes functionality I'm not happy with (say like with Kwin), I can comment out the extention so that Kwin would behave OK.
                    Sounds like MESA_EXTENSION_OVERRIDE

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                      Write better code or shut up.
                      I write the best code I can, but sometimes it's just impossible due to ancient libs. A specific (but off topic in this case) example I can give a project of mine that tries to work as best as it can using Qt 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7. But guess what? Debian comes with the outdated 4.4. No matter how good my code is, on Debian the application looks like ass on Gnome. But on Ubuntu, it looks as native as any Gtk app would.

                      So right back at ya: learn what it takes to develop software or shut up.

                      Using Debian for development is a bad idea unless you update it with new versions of libs (backports or whatever.)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X